Explosion in my shop in NH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikespenturningz

Ok so it wasn't a destructive explosion but it was a color explosion. This is what you get when you mix cactus juice with dye and really work it hard. I have my technique for dying my wood that just seems to work. Here are 4 that I worked on today.
1. Spalted Maple
2. Blond Buckeye Burl
3. Curly Blond Buckeye Burl
4. Maple Burl.
I hope you like them.

1_ColorExplosionPens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Great work, mate...!

There is only one thing that annoys me with the dying wood with blue dye, it never gets a proper blue and that green(ish) colour that isn't much different than if you would use green dye...!

Apart from that, I like what the single and double dying does with most woods, the effects can be mesmerizing, your pens are a good example...!

Congrats.:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Tom T

They are beautiful. My wife wants the next one to the end. She loves the green in them lower half, and then how it blends into the red.

They are beautiful. My wife wants the next one to the end. She loves the green in them lower half, and then how it blends into the red.

That is actually blue but it does look greenish probably because of the natural color of the wood. My intention was to get a purple in the middle where the two colors meet. I get a little on some but not like I would like to get.

sbwertz

The only wood I have been able to get a true blue on is very white holly. Almost all "white" woods are really a pale shade of yellow, which turns the blue to green. I prefer holly for making wooden pens in school colors because it is the only one that gives true colors.

Ambidex

was thinkin I had to make a trip from Bristol to Claremont to bring my extinguisher..did get my attention though..Very nice turnings!:cool:

MikeL

Great looking pens. Good choice on interesting grain patterns. These grain patterns draw you in to just stare and your clear photos make it easy to do that. Nice job.

Top Bottom