Exploded view of a Celtic Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxman400

maxman400

This was my second attempt at a Celtic knot. I thought I had it down pretty good so I grabbed one of my best looking olive wood blanks and went to work. All went well until I started drilling, and that's when it exploded. :thunder: The glue gave way, the aluminum slid out and the blank snapped. I did a little war dance, :mad: said a few things and put it in a junk box and walked away. That was a month ago, so today I saw it again and decided that if I wanted to say that I build pens then I needed to fix this one. :doctor: So after three hours of work,:confused: this is what I ended up with. It has a CA finish, I would not try to sell it but I am happy with the fact that it did not beat me. :biggrin: Comment's always welcome, thanks for looking.

Attachments

• exploded celtic knot 002.jpg
    exploded celtic knot 002.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 446
  • exploded celtic knot 004.jpg
    exploded celtic knot 004.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 413
  • exploded celtic knot 008.jpg
    exploded celtic knot 008.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 382
  • exploded celtic knot 016.jpg
    exploded celtic knot 016.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 480
  • exploded celtic knot 022.jpg
    exploded celtic knot 022.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 363
  • exploded celtic knot 027.jpg
    exploded celtic knot 027.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 279
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Nice save but you did not tell us any details. What caused the failure in the first place??? What type glue did you use??? What did you do to save it??? How will you avoid this in the future??? Thanks for the reply.

ldb2000

I read this posts title and came here expecting to see a tutorial with diagrams on how to make a Celtic knot , and all i see is a broken blank and a beautiful pen ...... WHERE'S THE TUTORIAL !!! ....:biggrin::rolleyes::wink:

Great save .

maxman400

I read this posts title and came here expecting to see a tutorial with diagrams on how to make a Celtic knot , and all i see is a broken blank and a beautiful pen ...... WHERE'S THE TUTORIAL !!! ....:biggrin::rolleyes::wink:

Great save .
Well I am not efficient enough to do a tutorial, and the light did not go on until YOU gave the tip about using a soldering iron to heat up the CA glue on a tube that was stuck 1/2 in. I was trying to use a wood brad point bit to drill through the Aluminum and it over heated causing the glue to fail, this caused the blank to break in half. I have switched to using Dewalt bullet tip bits.
I guess the wisdom here, Is to be sure to use a sharp drill bit and don't over heat the blank.

randyrls

The info to use only a non-brad point bit is right on!

Additionally, make sure you place a support block under the blank before you start drilling. That first photo looked just like one I did where I forgot to use the support block. Use only gently clamping pressure on the blank.

leehljp

Member Liaison
On another forum this past week, a similar situation occurred. I learned a little trick from Eagle about 3 or so years ago that helps this situation.

On delicate sections and segments after they are glued up - wrap some thread around it tightly and cover the area completely with the thread. Then CA the thread before drilling. Takes about 10 minutes on average and makes it much stronger at the segment points and you don't have to look back and say "I wish I had done something different."

leehljp

Member Liaison
To add to Leehlip answer, Eagle Also said to made sura the glue had settup, I wait till the next day before drilling.

Bernie

You are RIGHT on the waiting. I did spray some accelerator on mine when I tried it. It worked great but I did have a double layer of string that I didn't mention above.

maxman400

This Is why I love being a member of the IAP, it has such great information and experience. Thanks you guy for all of the tips.

Top Bottom