Experiments and Mistakes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from brettlyk

brettlyk

I thought that I'd post some of my latest flawed results.

So, I made the decision to try a couple of different styles of pen kits and have paid the price for being impatient and for poor instructions.

I thought I'd post a few pics of some that are not quite up to scratch as everyone needs to learn from mistakes.

The Rollerballs are a Traditional press on cap and are turned slim. The tricky part was adjusting the insert to get the right amount of seating. On the Tiger Myrtle, which was my first one off the block, I was a tad over exuberant and took a tiny bit of brass off the tube and also had some finishing issues with my CA. The Forest Oak one was definitely the best as it was also my 3rd.

I have experimented further with decals and tried a twist style Parker. Not a fan and as I used a decal that I had printed out previously for a Sierra size, it's a tad off size here. This was more about using a timber and not acrylic for a decal pen.

Live and learn and turn, I say.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Tiger Myrtle - Closed.jpg
    Tiger Myrtle - Closed.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 264
  • Tiger Myrtle - Open.jpg
    Tiger Myrtle - Open.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 249
  • Fiji Mahogany - Closed.jpg
    Fiji Mahogany - Closed.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 237
  • Fiji Mahogany - Open.jpg
    Fiji Mahogany - Open.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 245
  • Forest oak - Closed.jpg
    Forest oak - Closed.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 213
  • Forest Oak - Open.jpg
    Forest Oak - Open.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 225
  • Rock Maple - Decal.jpg
    Rock Maple - Decal.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 328
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

We have all been there. Just a tip....On the myrtle and mahogany it looks like the barrels stuck to the bushings and your broke them free. Try scoring them with a exacto knife or a utility knife before you break them free.

Last edited:

OZturner

Thanks Brett, for posting your story and photographs of your "Mistakes".
It is so refreshing to see this.

Many people will try to hide and deny their mistakes.
Mistakes are a result of trying something different, and can be a great asset.

Post-it Notes, came about as a result of a mistake by an Industrial Chemist, who developed an adhesive that would stick , but wouldn't hold, hence of no use.
The Chemist made some "Post-it" pages, for his use at Church where he attached them as markers for the Readings and Hymns of the Service.
That way he could tag the required pages in advance, and remove them without damaging the Bible or Hymn book pages.
Other Worshipers observed what he was doing and asked him about it.
Their interest prompted him to present this to the Development Panel, and as they say the rest is history.

Another Company, in the US, each month the R & D Department present a chosen Employee with a dressed Turkey, as a part of the "Turkey of the Month Award" for the greatest "Turkey" (failed project) during the month.
This is a way of celebrating failures or mistakes, by encouraging the staff to publicly display their mistakes, and not to hide them.
If you don't make mistakes you are not developing, or stretching the boundaries or limits, and you won't innovate or progress.
Here Endth the Lesson!

Your Pens apart from their scars are very nice,
Can the damaged ones be restored?
or are they destined to be displayed in your workshop?

Again thank you Brett.
Brian.

brettlyk

Thanks for your comments guys. I will more than likely dismantle these and try to resurrect them. It's all been a learning curve and as I don't like to do the simple things and just dive in, I need to learn from my mistakes so I can compete with some of the works of art I see here each and every week.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Keep at it Brett! For what it sounds like you've done - these are very valuable lessons.

I have been refinishing pens the past 3 weeks that I did lasy year - and most have come out markedly better, so that is a good thing!

I like the decal! What kind of printer and clear material may I ask?

Have a great day!

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for sharing those with us Brett. It sound like you learned a lot for those pens and I'm sure your next ones will be great.

brettlyk

Thanks guys, In answer to Mark's question, the printer was a cheap and nasty Canon mX436 inkjet and the paper is "Inkjet Clear - Waterslide decal paper" that I got from an EBay business here in OZ.

tgsean

Thanks for sharing these Brett. I have made all those mistakes, and occasionally still do. I am curious about the Forest Oak pen. I noticed some discoloration, is that how the blank was? I have had that problem when I was overzealous with my sanding, and often would allow the sandpaper to go over the metal bushings, and that resulted in the stains on the wood. Now after turning and getting it to size with the 240 grit paper I change from metal to plastic bushings which I buy from rockler (meant for CA), that works really well for lighter timber, and no stains. Just a suggestion if that is the problem.

Top Bottom