Experiments with dye

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Queso

Status
Not open for further replies.

Queso

I managed to get some blanks dyed without coloring my shop this week.

Top is box elder from my grandparents' farm in Iowa. Bottom is BLMB from Woodcraft.

200542822472_pens%20039a.jpg

The top pen in this picture is colored with the prismacolor pens from Michaels. They're expensive, but have really vivid colors. Lacquer and CA tend to make the ink run, though. Bottom is boxwood. It is super tight grained, and I didn't leave it in the dye nearly long enough. It was only a couple of hours, and it probably should have soaked for at least two or three days.
2005428225046_pens%20041a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscavenger

What do you mean by "leaving it in the dye?" When I did my super purple pen I just laid on the color, burnished with paper towel, one coat of BLO, then multiple CA coats. I don't understand the soaking comment.

Queso

I used two methods to color these pens. The prisa-color pen was just done with the markers. The others were actually turned to size, sanded to 1000, and immersed in a water-soluable dye solution I got from Woodcraft. The Box Elder and the maple were immersed for more than 24 hours. The boxwood was done last week, and it was only in the solution for a couple of hours. There is more than one variable at play here, but I can reason that denser and tight grained woods will have to be in the solution longer. The other woods weren't punky, so they were pretty dense as well. They penetration of the dye was a lot greater for the pens in the top pic than for the boxwood.

woodguy1975

Great looking pens. I like the multicolored one the best.

BTW guys, I got a set of 24 Prismacolor markers off ebay for like $15. A set of 24 is something close to $45 in the stores. They are very vivid colors. I've also found that CA will change the color sometimes. I've found that yellow Sharpie will turn red when CA is applied and the lighter green Sharpie turns brown with CA. You gotta experiment to see how the colors react to the CA if that is the finish you use.

Good Luck,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom