Experimenting in Color

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Grizz

Grizz

Banned
I decided to try Dyeing some of my own... but without a pressure/vac thing. I thought I'd do all mine after the turning is done. Kinda like doing guitar coloring... sorta... maybe...

So I bought some Transfast Cardinal Red powder and mixed a little of it up. I applied it to a turned Walnut barrel. Here is what it looked like after drying.

cherrycordialbsg6.jpg

Then I sanded it down .... I mean just barely touching the barrel with 1000 grit. Then Applied the Plexi finish. The barrel changes color as you turn it and tilt it in the light. from a bright red do a lighter brown. I just can't get a good picture of it! I'm calling this my "Cherry Cordial" treatment. :)

cherrycordialals7.jpg

cherrycordialatlaswr1.jpg

What ya think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fernhills

Hi Grizz, i do some dyeing on lathe (some how that don`t sound right) I try to dye light colors like curly maple,any light colored figured wood works best. I do not touch the wood with sandpaper after it has been dyed. I use a piece of brown paper bag to smooth it out after it has been dyed.Then i put on several coats of thin c/a then micro mesh to 12000. It comes out real nice. I use transtint dye from woodcraft. Carl

Top Bottom