Experimental Jr. Gent 2's

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from nilsatcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilsatcraft

I always enjoy a chance to do some inlay on a pen so I tried a pattern out this past weekend and then turned it tonight. It's not quite what I had in mind but it was fun trying. We had a penturning class at Craft Supplies tonight so I turned these two Jr. Gent 2 pens. The first is Figured Jarrah (Australia) with Holly inlay, dyed black and cut back wtih 600 grit. The glue job isn't great but it was just for fun. Kit is TN. Second pen is Holly with exposed brass tube on either end. I wondered how this would look with the 10k kit so here it is. Kind of interesting, I thought. Neither of these are what I would call a work of art, but both were fun to make. Finished with... you guessed it - Master's Magic Spray Lacquer. Comments/Critiques welcome.

200641353952_DSCF0699.jpg

200641354035_DSCF0720.jpg

200641354051_DSCF0726.jpg

This one is the above pen blank before it was turned:
200641354531_DSCF0694Small.jpg

20064135410_DSCF0748.jpg

200641354111_DSCF0782.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I like the brass too, and the detail work on the holly is really nice. The first one is just OK to me, mostly because in my mind, holly should be white, and because I don't think the charcoal color of the holly goes well with the Jarrah. But that's a personal taste issue, and one that should be discounted if you like it!

bjackman

Nils,
Nice work and experimentation on both!!

Please tell me more about the two lines on the nib section on the Holly RB. Are those standard on the 10k kits? (I still haven't made the switch over to the Jr II)
Thanks

Ryan

Nils,

I like the Jarrah. I am just scratching my head wondering if it really is figured Jarrah. Both blanks I bought from CSUSA look nothing like it. Both of mine are as dark as Walnut and no figure. I will have to drive down next time and see if you all will let me cherry pick a blank or two.

Ryan

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Nils,

I am really tired of "good job, nice pen". So, I don't respond often.

That "exposed brass" is a really SHARP-looking pen!! Did you treat the brass some way, so it won't get ugly? The look, right now, is exceptional!!!

BTW, your photography also makes me green!!!

nilsatcraft

Thanks everyone. I feel the same as most of you about both pens- I'm not too sure about them [:I]. Neither of them came out quite how I had hoped but they're alright.
Bill J.- You're right, the Jr. Gent 2s come with those two lines on the nib now.
Ryan - Most of the blanks I saw in our bin were quite nice, so yes- come on by and have a look. This was, of course, one that stood out to me but there were others like it.
Ed - To treat the brass, I sanded it with 600 grit, then sprayed it with the lacquer. I don't know how it will hold up, but we shall see.

nilsatcraft

I just remembered- I wanted to get your opinions on the background. This is a leftover floor tile (12"x12") from my parent's house. I really wanted to try it out, since it has a nice reflective quality to it. I don't have a lot of backgrounds to choose from right now, but what do you think of the tile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom