Experimental Euro pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cherie

Cherie

This is the first European pen I did yesterday. I did not want a center band, so I experimented with purple heart and burning. (no I did not burn my hand this time.) The center did not quit come out right, so I will have to play some more to try and get it. There is a slight gap, even after I added the purple heart.

Attachments

• P1170227.jpg
    P1170227.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 278
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cherie

Stephen, I just practice. I think there is a place within this forum that can tell you though. I am not very bright when it comes to this. lol

yorkie

I was just wondering how you prepare that non-centerband version. it seems like you would leave the blank longer, drill a bigger hole for the first 3/16" or so etc. Am I on the right track?

Real nice!!!

Can you talk me through how you did that without the center band?
The centerband is not a functional part on the Euro--it is purely decorative. So what is your question, I'll try to answer, if you like.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
To make the pen with a centerband (provided in the "kit"), you are making a tenon and then putting the centerband over it. The centerband then extends about 3/16" beyond the reach of the upper brass tube. So, when you replace (or eliminate) this piece, you need to extend the material about an equal length to compensate. Since you are drilling to accommodate the brass tube (OD), your inside of the extended "blank material" will be the correct dimension to fit over the lower half of the pen.

Sound reasonable?

yorkie

Would I not have to drill out that protruding section (the part of the wood that replaces the centerband) to a wider diameter than the 7mm needed for the tube, as that will need to go over the width of the top of the finished bottom half of the pen?

Thanks, Ed.

To make the pen with a centerband (provided in the "kit"), you are making a tenon and then putting the centerband over it. The centerband then extends about 3/16" beyond the reach of the upper brass tube. So, when you replace (or eliminate) this piece, you need to extend the material about an equal length to compensate. Since you are drilling to accommodate the brass tube (OD), your inside of the extended "blank material" will be the correct dimension to fit over the lower half of the pen.

Sound reasonable?

Top Bottom