Experiment up in Flames!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from creativewriting

After watching Brads videos I have been wanting to try my hand at etching. After numerous messages, that Brad was very gracious to answer, it was time to give it a go. This pen is turned from .62"d aluminum rod. It is a bit "beefier" (.57"d) as I wanted to leave a bit of meat. I wasn't sure what to expect from the etching process or my solution so it was better to be safe and make a wider pen. The nib section could be a bit fatter to reduce the shoulder, but that is a quick fix.

Overall I was pleased with the outcome. There is a LOT of room for improvement (Sorry Brad...that means more emails:confused:). My first issue is the time it takes to get any depth in the etch. The reaction is not as violent as in the video and it's taking a bit longer to get a deep cut. For me that translates to more time for something to go wrong. The sections for this pen were in the solution for roughly 3-5 minutes each. Secondly I need to be more careful with the vinyl. I wrapped the cap with Cricut vinyl (don't tell my wife) and then used an exacto knife to free hand the flame pattern. For the most part it stayed in place, but the heat from the process does start to effect the vinyl towards the end.

The etch on this pen feels good on the fingers, but is not deep enough (I think) to fill with resin. I am not sure how deep I need to go, but I don't want it to be to thin and crack later on. That will be the next phase of the experiment I guess.

Thanks for looking. Any and all critiques, comments, and advise are welcome!

Attachments

• aluminum flame.jpg
    aluminum flame.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 284
  • aluminum flame3.jpg
    aluminum flame3.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 265
  • aluminum flame4.jpg
    aluminum flame4.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 168
  • aluminum flame6.jpg
    aluminum flame6.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_3969.jpg
    IMG_3969.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 200
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

Keith that is pretty impressive, more so since you got it right the first try! What about an enamel fill and buff it off the surface, some what like cloisonne? If it didn't work you could strip it.

Harry

I have some jewelry enamel I was going to test out in the cuts. We will see how it works. We have a local visual arts school that is offering an etching class in February. I may look into it as it leads into cloisonné in the spring. Enameling has always been on my list to try and is fascinating when you dive into all the different styles.

Keith that is pretty impressive, more so since you got it right the first try! What about an enamel fill and buff it off the surface, some what like cloisonne? If it didn't work you could strip it.

Harry

Top Bottom