Experiment in Set, Lighting and Branding

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WildcatHollow

WildcatHollow

...not that I'm anywhere near being able to sell any of my work. But, I like setting a vision and then working to achieve it.

The backdrop is a 12 x 12 white marble tile from Home Depot. I set it in a Lastolite White Pop Up Product Tent, without the front door. The flash is a single Nikon SB-800 directly over the top of the tent, fired through a Lastolite EZBox softbox controlled by a Nikon SU-800 Flash Comander on top of a Nikon D200. 1/60sec at f18. Lens is the Nikon VR 18 - 105 DX Zoom racked all the way out.

I've got a long way to go on the finish. I'm using a friction polish, but I'm too new to start experimenting with all the Christmas presents I have to get out this week.

I'm going to try Russel's CA finish after the holidays.

1_DSC_0091.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

Phot looks great and the background does ot detract from the pen at all. One consideration though is that the text could be a bit larger to make it easier to read. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

glycerine

I think it looks great. I agree about the text in the upper left maybe being larger. I personally would move the softbox or use a reflector to further reduce the shadow from the pen, by that's just my preference. You have a nice setup there.

WildcatHollow

Glyce...When I first saw the photo, I too thought it was a shadow. It's actually a reflection of the pen in the marble. I used beeswax to lift the pen slight off the marble to get the highlight on the front edge, thus the reflexion.

Hey, I noticed your in South Riding. I go by you a couple of times a week to visit my Fairfax client.

I think it looks great. I agree about the text in the upper left maybe being larger. I personally would move the softbox or use a reflector to further reduce the shadow from the pen, by that's just my preference. You have a nice setup there.

t.

WildcatHollow

Thank you for the input...

...I think you're all right about the text. Now that I look at it again, it's too small.

I also picked up a 12 x 12 black marble tile with gold specks at Home Depot. I'll shoot the next finished pen over it for a comparison.

t.

Stick Rounder

Toby,

I don't know Russel's finish. I would suggest the one that I have been using for 6 months with great success. W.O. Young's finish - simple. You Tube search, there is a short video. I struggled for almost a year with CA finish, but not anymore.

glycerine

Ok, I see.
Yep, I'm in South Riding. There's at least one other IAP member in my neighborhood as well. Sounds like you have a nice drive, route 50 can be a pain depending on the time.

Glyce...When I first saw the photo, I too thought it was a shadow. It's actually a reflection of the pen in the marble. I used beeswax to lift the pen slight off the marble to get the highlight on the front edge, thus the reflexion.

Hey, I noticed your in South Riding. I go by you a couple of times a week to visit my Fairfax client.

t.

workinforwood

It looks great to me Toby. Shadow or not, I believe in shadows. Complete elimination of shadows makes the pen look more 2 dimensional and fake, just my opinion. That pen has a nice warm look and feel to it, that's for sure.

WildcatHollow

Hi, Doug...

Russell Fairfield...he's produced some videos on his Boiled Linseed Oil/CA approach.

My problem with CA is that no matter how careful I seen to be with it, I end up sticking my fingers together or doing some damage to the pen I'm working on.

I checked out YouTube, and found a lot of stuff, but nothing from a search of variations of young, penturning, finishing, etc.

There was a short video showing a gentleman using Waylands. Was that it?

If not, could you send me the link, please?

Thank you.

Regards,

t.

Toby,

I don't know Russel's finish. I would suggest the one that I have been using for 6 months with great success. W.O. Young's finish - simple. You Tube search, there is a short video. I struggled for almost a year with CA finish, but not anymore.

Daniel

This has to be a good photo. I can see it even on my monitor at work. you get even little dark places in a photo and this monitor will show them to you real fast. the text looks good to me as well when I look at the full size version. nicely done. it is the small details that are actually the hardest to get a grip on. My bet is you will find different pens will work better on your dark background while others will work better on the light. in time you will get an intuition about which background to use with any given pen. good thing you got them both though.

Top Bottom