An experiment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from angboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

This slimline is made from some wood that I got from Dario. I can't remember what it is, so I guess we'll have to wait til Dario comes back and can tell us what it is. It came like little branches, with the bark still on the outside of the not very big around branches that were somewhat challenging to drill. The kit finish is satin copper. But I replaced the centerband with a pink ivory band. The band was originally rough turned by my dad for me to experiment with replacing the standard center bands. I decided to try something different and not make it flow with the wood blanks, so no, it's not an oops[:0] that it is wider than the rest of the pen in certain places.

2006910231425_August172006Small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kaspar

Originally posted by angboy
<br />.... so I guess we'll have to wait til Dario comes back and can tell us what it is ...

Pukewood would be my guess. [;)]

j/k

But dodgy shades of green and I don't get along.

I like the centerband. And I like all the outside-the-box experimentation I've been seeing lately.

alamocdc

That's certainly a different look, Angela. The yellow looks to be Texas Ebony sapwood. Dario had some root material that looks much like this. At least those I got from him do.

angboy

Originally posted by clewless
<br />Ang,
Looks good, but you might consider a bit of a bevel at each end to step it down towards the yellow/green wood.

Huh???[?][?] You'll have to explain that to me in non-technical jargon Joe. I have no earthly idea what you're suggesting![:(] (You can be smarter than me in this area- I know my limitations- that's why I'm not having someone be my intern in penmaking!)

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I am not Dario, but the wood is Algarita. I have a lot of experience with it. It is just a bush tha grows here in Texas, hence the branch sections. The root balls make really beautiful pens but the branches can be pretty plain.

BigRob777

I'm with Joe. A bead would be rather spectacular looking. Also, if you do this again, you can turn the barrels, with the CB between them, to get the diameters the same, if that's what you want.

The wood reminds me of smoketree, except for the dark spots.
Nice work Angie. I keep falling asleep on my keyboard, so I should try to get some more sleep. Experimenting with CBs is fun. You can do a lot with it. Have fun with it.
Rob

Dario

Curtis is correct. That is agarita and they are really small. I am sorry that the figure didn't show...I assure you there is more to that wood than the pic showed.

Most of the wood that I got cracked. The root sectioons really are better but those too cracked (even after DNA soaking, sealing and wrapping). I should have waited for the right time to collect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom