Expanded Horizons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

While this photo is lacking, it is my first attempt at anything like this, other than a couple of "linear" segmented pens. I owe a debt of gratitude to Scott (Trapshooter) who sent me a Celtic cross pen in the 2006 PITH. He was kind enough to steer me in the right direction to try my own. Truly one of the reasons I so enjoy this site. So much knowledge and wisdom that is freely shared...even if Doc Stram and I never win anything!!! Thanks to you all, and especially to Scott. Satin gold cigar, redheart with yellowheart segments, CA finish (modified Fangar). As always, comments, suggestions and critiques gratefully accepted. Regards, Rob

200713015255_celtic%20cigar.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JDPens

That looks great. Ditto on the knot, excellent choice of plating as well. In the pic, the knot is looks nearly the same color as the plating. Satin Gold?
What woods did you use?

Rob

Thanks all. Josh, I used redheart for the main "body" and yellowheart for the celtic cross/knot. The satin gold plating really does work very well with the yellowheart.

Rob

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Rob, yours is light years ahead of my first cross - laminated pen.
My first lesson I learnt from this site, after doing mine, was that the laminates need to be exactly the same as the blade kerf to keep them aligned. Please don't take this as critisism though.
I went out and spent a small fortune on different blades, till I figured out how to cut my blank twice to keep them lined up.
You didn't have the other problem I had as well, I didn't realize that the blank needs to be square as well. Well done, I think you started higher up the ladder than most of us have.[:)]

beathard

I love the pen. I wish I understood the comment skiprat made about the laminate needing to be exactly the same as the blade kerf to keep them aligned. I am going to attempt a few this weekend with different blades to see if I can figure it out.

twoofakind

I think he meant that when you cut and turn the blank you will end up stacking the cuts and they will not line up right on the other end. The first one I tried the segments looked like a set of stairs as each one was a little higher than the last. I figured out a way to do it on the band saw that worked pretty good. Not the best explanation, but I hope you can figure out what I mean.

Andy

Rob

Thanks for all the kind words. Radman, yep, this was my first try of this type. I've done two lengthways segemented pens before (both are in my album), but nothing like this until now.

Beathard, when I asked Scott (Trapshooter) about the one he made for me, he provided the same info that Skiprat is talking about. It is critical that the pieces used for the lamination exactly match the kerf or width of your cuts. In this case I made a jig for my Dremel table saw, put two blades together, sort of like a dado blade. The two blades were exactly 1/8" wide, the exact width of my laminate stock (in this case the yellowheart). If you don't replace exactly the same width of material that you cut out, the knot or circle will never line up. Likewise, square stock and accurate cuts are important (at least it was to me) if for no reason other than the glue up, since you want everything aligned on both sides when you glue the pieces back together. I had one side just a little off, but got lucky as it was easily hidden by the clip. Hope this helps, if not let me know and I'll try and walk you through what I did. Not that what I did was the easiest or best way, but it seemed to work!!

Rob

Trapshooter

Rob, Nice job[:)] I really like the yellowheart and redheart combination, good choice with the satin gold kit. Finish looks excellent.
You mentioned you stacked two blades, if you can get your laminate stock thinner, one blade may make for an interesting knot also. I have been looking for thinner blades for my tablesaw to do this, I think I remember a post from eagle that he has used a smaller diameter saw blade, (maybe 7.25") which has a smaller kerf.......back to your pen, I really like it and thanks for the kind words.[:I]

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom