An "Exotic" for sure??????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wood-of-1kind

wood-of-1kind

Sorry but I don't have any detail for this blank, but I can say that it was a joy to turn. The components are the full size Gentleman FP and is the first for me. Certainly is a "big" pen and could easily be wielded as a "club".:eek:A great big thanks to Ed and the wonderfull "Princess" for their thoughful gift. Hope that you enjoy viewing these 'pics' and will be thankful for any and all comments that you may wish to submit.

Update: the blank is a mammoth 'chips' cast resin from the fine folks at Exotic-A+++ (Ed & Dawn). Have taken new 'pics' after the gracious members here at IAP pointed out my error of incorrectly installing the lower blank. Thanks to all that helped me realise my error, I'm embarassed for my screwup, but am also appreciative of the criticism so that I may improve my craft here.
P1010005.JPG

P1010012.JPG

P1010002.JPG

P1010003.JPG

P1010009.JPG

P1010010.JPG

P1010011.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Looks like it might be one of our "Ice Age Mosaic" blanks. If that's the case, it's Wooly Mammoth Ivory cast in black Alumilite.

Nice job of kit selection. One of the best applications I've seen for that blank.

juteck

I have one of those blanks -- ICE AGE I think is what it's called. Now I need to make mine round! Does it ever look good on that Gent!

JohnU

I have one too, mammoth ivory chips, but I didn't know what to put it on. I like what you did with yours! Nice work!

JimMc7

Beautiful pen & photo!

My intent is to be helpful and not critical with this question: Is it possible you have the blank cap and nib ends reversed on the pen portion? Could just be the photo but it appears nib end is overturned and cap end is underturned (nib end is the larger diameter fitting). I only mention it because I've reversed the ends several times on the Jr Gent/Statesman. :redface: I apologize if just a photographic illusion.

wood-of-1kind

Beautiful pen & photo!

My intent is to be helpful and not critical with this question: Is it possible you have the blank cap and nib ends reversed on the pen portion? Could just be the photo but it appears nib end is overturned and cap end is underturned (nib end is the larger diameter fitting). I only mention it because I've reversed the ends several times on the Jr Gent/Statesman. :redface: I apologize if just a photographic illusion.

Jim and the other fellow IAP members that pointed this out, I thank you for your keen observation. I have indeed mounted the lower half backwards. I have since reversed my error and freely admit that the pen now looks much better. Will repost new 'pics' as soon as the sun(light) is out since I much perefer to shoot in natural light.

No real damage done, but I am a little :redface:

wood-of-1kind

New pictures added after correcting my 'error'. No pain being felt here and thanks again to those keen IAP members that noticed my mistake. Thank you all for providing 'input' so that I was able to make corrections. Hopefully the pen now looks more 'worthy' for the great blank that ED & Dawn kindly provided.:)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As Paul Harvey says: The REST of the story:

We had a carbide tool from Peter, that Dawn had purchased for me. When I turned a Mammoth Ivory blank (from Ankrom), I found my skew could DO it, but it wasn't easy--frequent trips to the sharpener.

So, I grabbed Peter's carbide tool (which I had used, but not often) and found it's natural home. The mammoth ivory was cut easily and the resulting pen (for a PITH) was one that I enjoyed making and was proud of the results.

So that was the context---thought Peter would enjoy the same experience!!

A Great blank, a great tool and a Great result (for me, a GREAT PITH--)

Looks like Peter's results were also pretty spectacular!!

Carbide cutting is definitely the answer on bone and very hard ivory!

Top Bottom