Exotic Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
The copperhead snake skin blank came from Dawn at http://www.exoticblanks.com/

The pen is a Titanium Gold Jr Gent Roller Ball. If anyone is interested, the block the pen is resting on is 350 year old white ash.

Comments welcome.

Attachments

• 100_2815.jpg
    100_2815.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 405
  • 100_2814.jpg
    100_2814.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 361
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Cav, the copperhead has turned into one of my favorites and you did it up right. Damn I forgot about that white ash.

OKLAHOMAN

George, I've only seen one about a year and a half ago a Serria, I forget who made it but it was awesome. The problem is finding a skin laarge enough for a pen.In the meantime the copperhead is special.
When is somebody gonna offer a Coral Snake blank? That should be a pretty pen.

bitshird

Cav, thats a superb pen, before I started turning pens or casting there were quite a few Copper Heads in my woods, Now the dogs keep them away, I've seen two in the past couple of years and found a nest of babies last year.
The chunk of old ash sure is pretty, I always thought it would be too plain for a pen, that would be nice made into a small box, it would be a shame to make a pen put of that.

JohnU

Cav, the pen looks outstanding. I think Copperhead is much nicer than rattlesnake. I just wish it was an easy to get my hands on it. :) Ive seen some nice ash and make a few pens out of it, but Ive never seen ash that looks THAT NICE! Thanks for sharing.

talbot

Very attractive and unusual pen William, and of course, excellent work.
What's going to become of the Ash.
regards, Bill

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Thanks for all the nice comments. Dawn definitely makes some awesome blanks!! I still regret killing and tossing a larger than usual copperhead in my parents' yard several years ago. I could have "invented" snake skin blanks. :rolleyes::rolleyes::wink:

This particular piece of ash is about the nicest looking piece I have. It will stay a paperweight/pen display as I can't bring myself to destroy/change it in any way.

Just to show you guys I still turn (just lazy on photos) I'll post another pen. Yes, they photo does star the white ash. :)

winpooh498

Very nice pen!! I agree that a good snake is a snake skin pen! We offended a vendor at a show one time when I told them that the only thing a snake was good for is making pens. They had several snakes as pets. :eek::redface::rolleyes::)

workinforwood

Very nice Cav! I have one of those too, just need to get to it. Pretty much all the ash tree's are dead here, thanks Asia! Darn Emerald Ash Borer killed mine in my yard. Your map in the background excludes Michigan..SHAME ON YOU!!!

PR_Princess

Nice job Cav!!!! I'm glad that this one finally convinced you to get the camera out!:biggrin:

Chris, not only was this was a large snake, but it was tanned differently than the others. Cav graciously agreed to try it, and I think that it turned out beautifully!!

Roy that sierra that you remember...I think that there were two. Bobkeyes showed one, but think that the first one that was ever shown was made by the late Johnnie Jarheaded. IIRC, it was an exceptionally large coral that he hunted himself. Even then he had to use the longer belly scales to make it fit.

Last edited:

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Roy that sierra that you remember...I think that there were two. Bobkeyes showed one, but think that the first one that was ever shown was made by the late Johnnie Jarheaded. IIRC, it was an exceptionally large coral that he hunted himself. Even then he had to use the longer belly scales to make it fit.
Dawn, your memory is correct. The only way to make the Sierra was to use the belly scales as well as the back, but the belly scales do have the same coloring. That pen is in my display case now.

Top Bottom