Exothermically etched Aluminium Celtic gent, with black inlace.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

SIXTY 'likes' in one day....I'm thinking everyone is kneeling at this time! The process for this pen is over the top!!!!

bowkneelsuckers.gif

Thanks for sharing, and I'm looking forward to the tutorial(although, I may never make something like this....I'd love to read about making one)!

Scott (fella had a dream) B

BradG

Thanks Rich, the masking took a bit of editing to ensure the pattern continuously flowed around the body of the pen but much better than having two edges of the design!

Thanks for the accolades Scott. Check back in around 6 hours from now to see a video on its making :)

I set it off uploading to youtube before going to work this morning and it failed at 99% just to torment me as i cant restart it until i get home! ah well. Sods law reigns supreme.

sbell111

Honestly, I don't like this pen.

Don't get me wrong. It's beautiful and amazing, but it's mere existence makes me want to sell my lathe.

Brooks803

Not much to say that hasn't been said. Mad scientist for sure though!

The pen and process is amazing Brad! Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Just incredible!!! It's like watching a mad scientist / magician conjure up a beautiful sculpture from all his weird and wonderful potions!! :glasses-nerdy::biggrin:

oneptbuk

Sweet design, and perseverance. I don't love the kit, but the blanks rock. I look forward to how you incorporate this process into a custom pen.

BradG

one of the most beautiful pens I've seen in the forum, totally outstanding
Many thanks Alex

Don't get me wrong. It's beautiful and amazing, but it's mere existence makes me want to sell my lathe.
Lol Steve, no dont do it! I like the pens you turn :)

Not much to say that hasn't been said. Mad scientist for sure though!

The pen and process is amazing Brad! Can't wait to see what else you come up with.
hm been called thatonce or twice before lol. Thanks Jonathon. Hows the little one by the way?

Beautifull pen doesn't really say enough. One of the best!
Many thanks :redface:

Thank you for showing the process. To say I'm amazed is an understatement.
Thanks Jim, so was i when i realised it worked :biggrin:

Just incredible!!! It's like watching a mad scientist / magician conjure up a beautiful sculpture from all his weird and wonderful potions!! :glasses-nerdy::biggrin:
I always thought potions would smell nice lol. mind you they dont smell half as bad as what that resin does.... lol we have quite a large footprint to our home and can smell it from end to end. Think i may use the fume hood next time.

I can only say, WOW!
Thats a mighty big wow :biggrin:

Much the same thought I had except I was thinking of just locking up my shop and throwing away the key.:rolleyes:

Don't do it! lol could always give it a try yourself once ive put the tutorial out?

Well done Brad! luv your pen and work.:cool::wink:
Thanks John, its appreciated

Last edited:

bruce119

WOW just saw this.

I can see endless possibilities and designs.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:GREAT JOB:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

BradG

Indeed Bruce, starting to get a little collection going of vector files. this has opened alot of doors for me :wink:

BradG

Brad: I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said. I know no words worthy of this creation. It is deservant of every compliment received.

Many thanks Joe, its appreciated.

I am very humbled by receiving 100 likes also :redface: Thats quite breathtaking to see how well it has gone down. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to comment

Jim Burr

Banned
OK...I'm stupid! I saw this post and passed it up for a week and now am paying the price. This pen is crazy amazing Brad and you can't put a price on it....this one is a legand!!

BradG

No price to pay at all Jim, no rush or obligation to post at all :)

As for a pricetag though, it already has one hanging on it and someone coming to view. :biggrin:

BradG

Beautiful Brad, and nice detail with the centerband, as if it didn't already have detail:rolleyes:

Mike

Think it may have been unacceptable to leave a gold centreband on this pen lol :biggrin: Could see me getting some ruthless comments about that. As for the finial i like turning those. dont know why.. guess just because its such a small piece with lots of different dimensions going on.

Thanks for commenting Dusty

KDM

Well, this has been the most challenging pen i have ever turned, and the one i am proudest of.

Just so. It's looks amazing.

The second issue is smut. as the metal is corroded is leaves a layer of filth behind, and if this settles on the metal it protects it from the etchant. as a result of this it stopped etching down, and started etching outwards, eating away at the lines i was trying to preverse. this is known as under cutting, and can be avoided with ansiotropic etching with gases, but thats beyond the scope of this post.

I used to see this when I started etching printed circuit boards. Clearly, they are somewhat thinner, but my solution was to stick a fishtank bubbler in the etch tank. This stirs up the etchant, preventing the sludge from settling. Would that be any use?

BradG

Well, this has been the most challenging pen i have ever turned, and the one i am proudest of.

Just so. It's looks amazing.

The second issue is smut. as the metal is corroded is leaves a layer of filth behind, and if this settles on the metal it protects it from the etchant. as a result of this it stopped etching down, and started etching outwards, eating away at the lines i was trying to preverse. this is known as under cutting, and can be avoided with ansiotropic etching with gases, but thats beyond the scope of this post.

I used to see this when I started etching printed circuit boards. Clearly, they are somewhat thinner, but my solution was to stick a fishtank bubbler in the etch tank. This stirs up the etchant, preventing the sludge from settling. Would that be any use?

Yes you are on the right path. my vertical etching tanks are equipped with bubble lines, though for this experiment i wanted to try and get away with just using citric acid (which works fine luckily) as if the stream of bubbles is too strong it can effect your vinyl mask, whereas with PCB you generally use photoresist exposed to UV and devloped which is much tougher, albeit for shorter durations in the tanks. I doubt it would stand up to an exothermic reaction.

You could experiment with air, though make sure its turned down low. i found the citric lifted it nicely and half way through the cycle i gave it a gentle wipe with a toothbrush.

KDM

Yes you are on the right path. my vertical etching tanks are equipped with bubble lines, though for this experiment i wanted to try and get away with just using citric acid (which works fine luckily) as if the stream of bubbles is too strong it can effect your vinyl mask, whereas with PCB you generally use photoresist exposed to UV and devloped which is much tougher, albeit for shorter durations in the tanks. I doubt it would stand up to an exothermic reaction.

You could experiment with air, though make sure its turned down low. i found the citric lifted it nicely and half way through the cycle i gave it a gentle wipe with a toothbrush.

Air is exactly what I pumped through my bubbler. Actually, I never had a UV exposing bay. I actually just used a permanent marker as etch resist! It worked amazingly well. For fine stuff, I used an iron-on transfer.

What do you did with the citric acid? Just a squirt in your etchant? Wonder what that does (chemically) to the process.

BradG

lol i wouldnt use the term "squirt" it was measured by ratio, dissolved in boiling water and blended into the ferric chloride.

Top Bottom