Exothermically etched Aluminium Celtic gent, with black inlace.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

BradG

Well, this has been the most challenging pen i have ever turned, and the one i am proudest of.

This pen is the end result of months of experimenting and research, and thinking back, i think this is the 18th attempt before cracking it. From now on, this should be plain sailing with making the future ones now i know the ways on how not to do it :rolleyes:

Firstly, both sections of the pen are turned from aluminium.

I apply masking, and on this occasion a celtic pattern.
The circumference of a gent lid is equal to its length, so a 50x50mm pattern touches lip to lip which is perfect.

With the taper on the pens body, not so straight forward. i manually doctored the pattern with a scalpel as applying it so its an endless pattern going round. you will see this in the video when i release it tomorrow.
85115d1354042218-different-kind-etching-atlast.jpg

After this, the pieces take a dip in an exothermic etchant. typically etching takes around 9 hours for a usable depth for inlacing. The issue i encountered is that after so many hours the masking would peel at the edges and give rough lines, and parts which failed. The solution was toincrease the etch speed, and i found by adding a small amount of copper alloy to the ferric chloride, it created a violent exothermic reaction with the aluminium etching down to 0.5mm in around 30 seconds. the temperature it generates is so intense an earlier attempt with wax as a mask simply dripped off in a second. The second issue is smut. as the metal is corroded is leaves a layer of filth behind, and if this settles on the metal it protects it from the etchant. as a result of this it stopped etching down, and started etching outwards, eating away at the lines i was trying to preverse. this is known as under cutting, and can be avoided with ansiotropic etching with gases, but thats beyond the scope of this post.

I needed to find a way around this sediment buildup, and i found etch houses use a recipe called an edinburgh etch, where they add a 1:5 ration of citric acid, which lifts the smut away from the surface of the aluminium. with using 200Grams of citric with 800ml of Ferric chloride, with the parts suspended vertically (laying them down was a failure too) i managed to succeed after much trial and error..

After being etched, i mixed black dye with polylite resin, and applied it using a finishing Rotisserie
85132d1354055562-different-kind-etching-rotisserie.jpg

The idea was given to me by Jeff Powel over at masterscrollers.com and its been a god send. Turns at 2.5RPM which is perfect for making the resin flow around the blanks slowly giving an even finish.

Once left to cure, they were turned back down to size and sanded to a polish.

The centre band is made from aluminium which i have anodised black

The finial, again made from aluminium and anodised black with detailing turned on the lathe.

I hope ive not waffled on too much :redface: Il be posting a tutorial on how this is done in due course... though tomorrow il be posting a video tomorrow which just shows the journey through making this pen without all the tech waffle

Attachments

• 74735_369251659833173_2035971361_n.jpg
    74735_369251659833173_2035971361_n.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 656
  • 603949_369251583166514_469025115_n.jpg
    603949_369251583166514_469025115_n.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 695
  • 178917_369251616499844_269020481_n.jpg
    178917_369251616499844_269020481_n.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 631
  • 534704_369251576499848_385452269_n.jpg
    534704_369251576499848_385452269_n.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:

Papa mark

That has got to be one of the prettiest pens that I have seen on here. Great job on explaining the details of how this was made even though most of it was way over my head. Beautiful pen.

OKLAHOMAN

At a loss for any compliment that captures my thoughts. Just one of the best I've seen, you indeed should be proud.

Kretzky

Phenominal! :eek: Great achievement you should be justly proud.
don'cha just love it when a plan finally comes together... Congratulations.

Mike D

Can't wait to see it in the movies. That is one fantastic looking pen and one awesome process. I want to see if mere mortals can accomplish this or do you have to be ordained...LOL. Thanks for posting and I will look forward to the video.

Jim Smith

What a great looking pen and a terrific story of how you accomplished it.

Thank you for sharing them both with us.

Jim Smith

dansills

It will take me awhile to get my jaw off the floor ... Absolutely speechless. Front page immediately. We recently had a discussion about the kitless wonders and how difficult they were to make. I chimed in that custom blanks, custom segmenting and custom components were way more difficult than the typical 'kitless'. Several disagreed with me .. I sure hope they get to see this one. I want it...

ugrad

That is a lovely piece, Brad, the process was long and probably involved some pain, but you have cracked a well worthwhile idea.

regards
Peter

BradG

Bravo Brad! I love learning stuff from your labors. :biggrin::biggrin: Excellent pen!

Learn away my friend, learn away :wink:

Fabulous creation. I agree - you ought to consider the Guild with this pen. Thanks for sharing the process and photos.

I would submit to the guild, though that would involve posting it to the states, and knowing my luck it would go missing on route, or on its return :rolleyes: and with the carriage question "How much is this item worth" I don't think i could answer with more time than i can claim for.

Can't wait to see it in the movies. That is one fantastic looking pen and one awesome process. I want to see if mere mortals can accomplish this or do you have to be ordained...LOL. Thanks for posting and I will look forward to the video.

Thanks Mike, couple of hours and that will be on. just uploading to youtube.

Wow, way to stick with it and an amazing pen. You are definitely pushing the scope of our craft.

I'm trying :biggrin: any new avenues we can come up with which everyone can dabble with is certainly worth investing some time in.

My aim was to create a pen on par with what people have acheived using a CNC, without the cost of having to own a CNC which for most of us isn't financially viable.

I should add, that my workshop is equipped with professional etching equipment such as this:
577592_238307679609248_1315381078_n.jpg

Thermostatically controlled twin etching tank system with airation
UV Exposure unit

And i didnt use any of it for the making of this pen. I figured that using it would defeat the object of coming up with a financially viable option for everyone as these etching units are not cheap by any means. To put it into perspective i could have bought two of my lathes for what this little setup cost.

So what technological etching wonder system did i use for the making of this pen?

My wifes kitchen measuring jug :biggrin:
jt5000.jpg

and a bit of wood for stirring the piece. Thats it... no fancy etching equipment was used, only things what you can find around the home, albeit you wont find the etching chemical around your home. Though tred with caution you are likely to get a slap around the ear for stealing a kitchen jug. best hide it afterwards and claim not to have seen it or buy one when your next at the shops.

It will take me awhile to get my jaw off the floor ... Absolutely speechless. Front page immediately. We recently had a discussion about the kitless wonders and how difficult they were to make. I chimed in that custom blanks, custom segmenting and custom components were way more difficult than the typical 'kitless'. Several disagreed with me .. I sure hope they get to see this one. I want it...

I think they are both as equally difficult as each other. Both have a high rate of failures when done incorrectly, but like anything its easy when you know how. I can see blanks blowing out, and i can see threads stripping off kitless..... both have their challenges :) il be doing both however... glutten for punishment lol.. i have one kit left in my tool kit. after this i plan on going kitless, making my blanks in such a fashion as this, and continuing with the kitless development.

ericofpendom

Great job Brad, such perseverance is a credit. I'm so glad that the rotisserie thing didn't turn out to be what you turn your pens on:biggrin: I was about to sell my lathe and build one:biggrin:

I might have to have a ride to Blackpool and see you some day, not far from Bolton.

Eric...

Curly

Some pesky questions.

Brad I can't find any worthy adjectives to praise your work with.

May I ask if the etching process would be affected by the aluminium alloy used in the pen? Like 7050 or 7055 (Zinc) or 2090 (Lithium) etc. Would variations of your process work with Stainless Steel or Titanium?

BradG

Brad I can't find any worthy adjectives to praise your work with.

May I ask if the etching process would be affected by the aluminium alloy used in the pen? Like 7050 or 7055 (Zinc) or 2090 (Lithium) etc. Would variations of your process work with Stainless Steel or Titanium?

Hi Pete
Generally the risk of other alloys is that it can cause a violent reaction while etching. Though as this is something we are intentionally trying to do then thats not a problem at all. I cannot see any grade of aluminium causing an issue, though some may generate more smut than others. Though i would hope the citric acid would correct that regardless, though in extreme cases the use of an air pump in the etchant would help alleviate that.

With regards to stainless and titanium, yes it can still be done but the process would be different. no doubt we would have to find the optimum etchant by a bit of research, though the reaction wont be exothermic, so we would be left with long etch times which isnt an issue if the mask is up to the task. The best mask ive found is wax when etching at low tempratures. an easy way of applying wax detail to the piece is have your pattern cut from vinyl. but rather than discarding the negative part of the vinyl, discard the bit you would normally keep. now apply the negative vinyle to the piece, and dip it in melted wax. now go around the edges of the mask with a scalpel, and once done, peel off the vinyle. this will leave the wax intact in the places where the vinyl was missing. the piece can then be etched for hours at a time.

BradG

Great job Brad, such perseverance is a credit. I'm so glad that the rotisserie thing didn't turn out to be what you turn your pens on:biggrin: I was about to sell my lathe and build one:biggrin:

I might have to have a ride to Blackpool and see you some day, not far from Bolton.

Eric...

if only you could knock a couple of bits of wood together and call it a lathe :biggrin: this hobby wouldnt be so damn pricey lol.

Sure, though be warned you wont find much woodworking machinery in my shop lol

wizard

Stunning!!

Holy cow...I'm not sure how I missed this thread. Jeez..Brad..all I can say is WOW and WOW!!!. Your determination and persistence paid off. Brad, That pen is Beautiful!!!...all of yours are..but this is my new favorite. The way you combine skill sets in your pen making is incredible. Your willingness to show and teach others the process you use is a trait that I hold in high regard. Best, Doc:)

Top Bottom