Executive with Red Polygem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

I wanted to make a pen quickly with little prep and gave this a try:
HUT PolyGem-hutproducts.com

It lived-up to its claims. I am going to buy some of the other colors.

I turned this one a little heavier (thicker) and met the pen hardware with a short radius.

Attachments

• Executive Red Huts Polygem.jpg
    Executive Red Huts Polygem.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 300
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuckinohio

Very nice. I assumed it was a wood polish when I saw HUT, and the blank looks like wood at first glance!

They are cheap enough that's for sure. How did it turn? what resin would you compare it to?

TonyL

Used my same system as stated in my signature log (no Maguire's needed though)

Acrylester, BUT without the brittleness. More liket the glow-stone (glow in the dark blanks). Makes a lot of fine dust, but nothing that my DC couldn't handled. Turned at 2500 rpms, sanded at 600, buffed at 1200.

Was real easy on my HSS, practically finished the whole thing with a roughing gauge.

I just bought 5 more red at 1.99 and 10 of the other dark colors. For a about $10 or less in direct material cost and 45 minutes total of labor...I wll sell these for 40 to 45.

This only my second one...I forget I had them. And yeah and no reverse painting. did pant the tube, but was unnecessary.

I hope that helps.

stuckinohio

Thank you, I'm interested!

Used my same system as stated in my signature log (no Maguire's needed though)

Acrylester, BUT without the brittleness. More liket the glow-stone (glow in the dark blanks). Makes a lot of fine dust, but nothing that my DC couldn't handled. Turned at 2500 rpms, sanded at 600, buffed at 1200.

Was real easy on my HSS, practically finished the whole thing with a roughing gauge.

I just bought 5 more red at 1.99 and 10 of the other dark colors. For a about $10 or less in direct material cost and 45 minutes total of labor...I wll sell these for 40 to 45.

This only my second one...I forget I had them. And yeah and no reverse painting. did pant the tube, but was unnecessary.

I hope that helps.

TonyL

And I didn't think it would after sanding to 2K . I thought I was going to have to add, but shined beautifully after buffing.

magpens

Thanks for posting, Tony ! That pen looks great.

It is really worthwile knowing about those blanks.

I wonder why the red is half the price of all the others ?

TonyL

I bought it when it was on special months ago. I just noticed that too. I bought 4 or 5 of the other colors. Even at $4 or $5, I would be delighted if they turned the same way.

Top Bottom