Executive Pen Sets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to try and find a kit that would fill a niche in my domain that has been not to my liking yet. I wanted to find a nice design that had a look that worked in a roller ball and fountain pen at a more economical level that my platinum kits.

I thought I'd give the 10k Gold Executive pen from CSUSA a shot.

I made then as two sets, one in an amboyna burl, mostly sap wood and another in a the new gold blank from CSUSA.

IMG_8933.jpg

IMG_8940.jpg

One thing that struck me was the screw on cap has one thread capture (the Jr Gent has Three as do many of the other CSUSA pens). The one thing I did not like was the coarse and rough feeling while screwing the cap on the pen.

IMG_8934.jpg

IMG_8936.jpg

The lower pen body has the longest tube I have ever drilled, 3 inches. I liked the cap band, it reminded me of the Streamline middle band, but I would like this in a platinum or chrome finish.

Over all it's an okay pen design, but it does not rock my socks....I'm still looking for a design that will my needs, this is not it.

Critiques and thoughts please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sah6139

They are nice
I am also looking for "new"
kits to work with but you can
tie up a lot of money in bits and
bushings and still not like the pen.
Thanks for the review.

steve

Texatdurango

Nice job with the pens but honestly the centerband doesn't do a thing for me. So far, I haven't found a pen I like better than the Jr Gent and Jr Statesmen. I even tried the Jr Gent "twist style" ball point and like the feel in my hand.

its_virgil

Although not a flashy pen...the CB leaves a little to be desired...and those single lead metal threads....BUT, I use a executive fountain pen on a regular basis and it is the best writing fountain pen I use...and I have every fountain pen sold by CSUSA(except the limited editions) and Berea. Yep, that under $10 executive FP is my favorite daily writer... writes better than my $45 emperor.

Nothing wrong with your workmanship..those acrylic blanks are quite nice and what about that amboyna burl....fantastic. I enjoyed seeing them. Not many of these execs are posted.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Tanner

I think the pens are beautiful. I guess if you wanted to spruce it up you could do a closed end on it. When I see someone do a closed end I think it really gives the pen some class. I have not tried one yet as I'm not sure my skill is there yet.[V] Anyway, nice job on the pens though!

Thanks guys,

Yes the centre band is part of the visual balance issue for many people who look at this design...I appreciate your feed back....

I guess you can dress it up with a nice blank and still not be able to hide that centre band, sort of like my waist line at times..[:D]

I can say I see why you use it as a daily user Don, it has a simple feel and nice balance..

I wonder what new designs are out there in this price range...a lot of people want a cap that posts as well.

Poppy

Originally posted by ligget
<br />Beautiful work as usual Jim, your photos are perfect also![:0][:p]

My comments as well,as to the centerband it reminded me of Berea's purse pen on steroids[:eek:)]

Thanks for the review its very much appreciated.

Cheers

Winchester, Hampshire. SO22 5LB, United Kingdom.
I totally agree with the comments about the centre band and screw thread. I feel the centre band cheapens the kit and on those executives I've made, the screw threads always feel 'rough'. However the amboyna burl looks fantastic. I trust they sell well but I agree with your sentiments that this kit does not fit the gap in your range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom