An Executive Celtic Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mack C.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have a friend who is a master at making Celtic Knots, at least in my opinion. We did some trading and I received this Knot.

attachment.jpg

It fascinated me when I turned it to see the knot appear. I like the length of the blank (2⅞") on the PSI Executive. It's finished with BLO/CA.

Attachments

• 232 012 (Medium).jpg
    232 012 (Medium).jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 698
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'll bet you've got an itch to try your hand at it now.
It looks great!
Hi Charlie; I've planned the cuts and glue-ups in my head hundreds of times, but I just haven't got the nerve yet.

And now that I've got you here, here's a Sedona RB pen made from some of that Marblewood you so graciously sent to me some time ago.

attachment.jpg

Of course, you can tell the Marblewood has been X-cut. I'm kind of stuck in the moment of turning X-cut woods. It adds a new challenge to pen turning.

Attachments

• 238 004 (Medium).jpg
    238 004 (Medium).jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 666

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Aw, go for it .. all you can lose is a little time and a blank.
It's only wood. We'll grow more!
The marblewood looks great. I haven't done it crosscut yet, maybe I'll
try that next.

Hi Charlie; I've planned the cuts and glue-ups in my head hundreds of times, but I just haven't got the nerve yet.

And now that I've got you here, here's a Sedona RB pen made from some of that Marblewood you so graciously sent to me some time ago.

Of course, you can tell the Marblewood has been X-cut. I'm kind of stuck in the moment of turning X-cut woods. It adds a new challenge to pen turning.

jkeithrussell

You and I each made the same mistake on the centerband of the Sedona. The small silver ring goes on top of the scalloped piece, at least according to the instructions. It dawned on me that I was making this mistake as I was pressing the pieces together.

Nice pens at any rate.

attachment.jpg

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
I have a friend who is a master at making Celtic Knots, at least in my opinion. We did some trading and I received this Knot.

attachment.jpg

It fascinated me when I turned it to see the knot appear. I like the length of the blank (2⅞") on the PSI Executive. It's finished with BLO/CA.

Very nice!

Celtic knots are fun to make.. Been making some on keychains and stuff.. seems to be popular.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
You and I each made the same mistake on the centerband of the Sedona. The small silver ring goes on top of the scalloped piece, at least according to the instructions. It dawned on me that I was making this mistake as I was pressing the pieces together.

Nice pens at any rate.
Hi Keith; I have 4 other Sedonas in my inventory, all done correctly.
This one is out for laser engraving for a pen swap I'm in. No chance of correcting the centre band now, unless someone has some ideas to pass on.
That's a mistake that won't happen again!

outfitter

Lucky guy Mark! That is a beautiful pen. Would you provide a few details- How many knots are on the pen? Could you measure the width of the knot? It looks like it is the width of a thin kerf blade.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Lucky guy Mark!
Hi Todd; Actually my name is Mack.:)
How many knots are on the pen?
There are 4 knots.
Could you measure the width of the knot?
That's somewhat difficult, since because of the turning, the knots are different widths at different points.
It looks like it is the width of a thin kerf blade.
I recall Larry mentioning a thin-kerf blade.

Here's his tutorial that he has posted on a Canadian penturning site. I'm certain he would have no objection to you using it. He is a member of IAP (Larry from Harrow) if you wanted to be in touch with him.
http://www.penturnersparadise.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=2577

jttheclockman

Lucky guy Mark! That is a beautiful pen. Would you provide a few details- How many knots are on the pen? Could you measure the width of the knot? It looks like it is the width of a thin kerf blade.

Knots like that one are 4 sided and cut with a blade 3/32" thin kerf. I happen to use an 80 tooth blade for smooth edges. That knot shown was cut either at 60 degrees or 65 degrees. I know Larry was talking about experimenting with 65 degrees. Here is one I did not long ago based on the same principle. As you see there are factors to the final look. The red was put on a Sierra kit and the yellow was put on a Sierra Vista kit which is abit larger and makes the knot stretched out more. Hope this helps.

comboknots-1.jpg

Last edited:

outfitter

Thanks MACK! I am very impressed by all these pens.
John- I am not even going to begin to try and figure out how you got the pie shcped color of the other blank in the middle of those pens!

Top Bottom