Exactly the same

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ctEaglesc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
But one is "different" (beyond the obvious.)
I posted this pen a while back in my album.The shape is inspired by component sets available from different suppliers.I believe"retro" is a term used by one.
bloodwoodflattop.jpg

The problem with it was I needed the finial and clip from a second kit to give the modified "slim line" the look I wanted .

I searched for a tutorial on how to do what I wanted to do but couldn't find one.I made the blank with this design in mind.
Mahogany, walnut,bloodwood, maple bentwood lamination.
Bloodwood African blackwood and mule deer antler for the diagonal accent.

I still haven't said beyond this obvious what the difference in the two pens is(Aplogies on the finish, this is a prototype and I did not devote more than ten minutes on finishing it.)
bentlam%20dart.JPG

Thanks for looking!
what is the difference?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thumbs

D___m showoff! I go with the homemade finial, too! Ooh, wait![:0] I know your devious mind![}:)] You put a black ink refill in the one and and a rainbow ink assemblage in the other! Ha! Ha![^]

[:p]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The second one is a Perfect Fit Parker twist by the "B" company.
All the components are there,except for the decorative centerband.The mating parts are flat with no counter sinks for the transmission holder and decorative ring that would normally fit inside the decorative center band.
It was turned using the kits bushings on a "B" mandrel.A cut down 8mm tube is used for a sleeve in the upper section after final dimensions are attained.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Thanks Tom.
The only modification I Used was using the method I use to scuff my tubes on my bench sander,I ground down the center ring on the transmission holder to the point the "shoulder" that fits into the lower barrel and remaining section that goes into the upper tube remained.
The "Decorative" part was completely removed.

I slipped the transmission holder on the shaft of a long screwdriver and angled it into the direction of the belt.
As the belt traveled it easily ground the metal ring,I had a worn out 100 grit belt on the sander at the time.The top section of that componentonly serves to hold the ransmissin, the out side diameter is not critical but it needs to be larger than the bottom section so it will"seat" when you press fit it into the blank after turning.
One caution and this is one reson I don't write many "step by steps" The threads that hold the transmission is tapped on the inside of this piece.I ran the risk of ruining the threads when I "spun" the piece on the screw driver shaft.
( if you choose to try this do so at your own risk)
When I was finished I essentially had a transmission holder without the ring allowing the two pen blanks to mate flush after milling.
It was turned using the stock bushings.To get a good mate after roughing I removed the larger center bushing.
I added a piece of wax paper with a hole punched between the 2 blanks in the event any CA migrated in the anlter.I put the cut down 8mm tube in the top section as a sleeve.
When cutting allow for the length of the sleeve on the remaining bushing to fit in the tube.
I used the stock bushing for the finial end.
I hate to say it but now the "B" mandrel is too long (imagine that!)To make up the needed length I had to reverse the direction of the larger bushing and put it after the finial bushing.I don't bother with the steel washer and in this case I liked the idea the brass thumb nut made contact with the sleeve of the bushing I used as a spacer.
For those who have not turned a Perfect Fit, this explanation will sound complicated.Once you have the components and bushings in front of you it becomes apparent what changes you need to make to have it all fit on the mandrel.
( proceed at your own risk and imigination)

darbytee

Both great looking pens Eagle. I haven't done a PF yet, so I can't really comment on the modifications, but the bentwood work is beautiful and your wood combinations work really well together.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Eagle,

Nice pens, both. Personally, I think breaking up the vertical line of the lower pen makes it more distinctive. Have not tried that. Thanks,

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
A comment: the reason behind it.
I like the look of the "retro" pen.Who makes it is not important. The design effect is accomplished by the shape of the finial.You could do the same thing with a Polaris, Atlas etc.
The problem I have with the PSi Polaris is the ""clunky" nib.It is the same style they use on their power point pen and pencil.
That is why I started out on the Bloodwood pen with a slim line.Inexpensive,If it turned out to be a clunker, no great loss.
Where I ran into a problem was finding the components to add the clip and finial to get a distinctive shape and size in the upper portion of the pen.
No matter what you can do with a slim line to modify it you have the constraints of the dimension where the nib and clip are.Anything in the middle is fair game.
To get the clip and finial, I needed to
go into my stash of "parts stash" to come up with the ones I used on the bloodwood pen.
The American Classic component set from WoodCraft costs around $4.40 in groups of ten.
I would use that "kit" but as anyone knows who has made that pen the way the transmission "seats" in the top of the blank can have problems down the road.That is why I still have one of those Kits left over after a year.It is a woodcraft kit and I have a good idea who supplies it to them.
Bill at Arizona Silouhette had the PF on sale last year and I tried it.It does not have the same "look" as an American Classic(Parker style Design) but it also does not have the problems either.
Anyway I wasn't going to buy the AC "kit" just to throw half the parts away or have them clutter up me too precoius space just to get a clip.I can make my own finial.
I had heard rumors that a modifyable "parker" type kit may be coming out soon.I think it would be great to have something that we could"play" with as many of us do with the "Cross" slimline.
Lately I have been wondering if that modifyable "kit" isn't already there but I didn't know it.
I have limited "kits" at my disposal.Without seeing how the components "fit" it is difficult to see what changes you can make without major tooling most of us don't have at our disposal.Machine lathes, cnc machines etc. Those that do have them use them to their best aadvantage(Fred's indexer, Bruces gorgeous pen)I am a "wood" kind of guy, even though I am a tin knocker by trade, I love wood.
Delving into threads, plating metals is quite confusing for me.Also did I mention I am a little dyslexic?
Well there you have it.
I had a shape in mind, I knew what I wanted for a clip and finial
The final decison was risking ruining part af a set of components that I had already been using.
I could purchase a "retro" kit or american executive etc, but then my pen would look the same as "catologue" pens but with a different blank.
We like to say our pens are "custom" or "One of a Kind" and technically they are as it is virtually impossible to get any 2 pieces of wood that are the same, or I imagne to cast to resin blanks exacly alike. Once you get past that how "custom" is the custom pen we are making.
To me two pens that look similar is a "production run"
Many times I hate to make a matching pencil for a pen.
I like the idea of a double sale but the thought of repition of a design makes me lose interest.
Lastly
to all that have commented.
I was asked by the manager of the WoodCraft store in Charlotte N.C.
"Why can't you just turn the pens the way they are supposed to look ,like in the catologue?"
That was a few months after I discovered this forum.
After seeing what had already been done in regards to design I told him that most DON'T turn"catologue" pens and there are a lot of people who experiment with kits, blanks, finishes. I know, I have seen it done on the internet.
His reply to me was"You're Wrong!"
Ironically on that same visit the owner of the store was impressed enough by a simple modified deer antler slim line he called his wife and children over to see that pen.
I wonder if the owner realizes how much business he lost because his manger told me I was wrong about experimentation and not making "catologue" pens?
I have never set foot in that store since last September and I have never recommended any one shop there either.
I doubt they will out of buisness because I found better prices and service on the "net" from peolpe I may never meet but who want my business.I also realize there are members of this forum who shop at their local WC for the opposite of the very reasons I don't shop at my"local" one 4 hour round trip away.
They are treated well, maybe experimentation is encouraged, the AAW meets there. For theose reasons I am envious.
So you see there are a lot of reasons I experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom