Ever had one of those...pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from martyb

Status
Not open for further replies.

martyb

Ever had a pen that no matter how you tried, you just couldn't seem to get the finish right? 7 tries and lots of swearing to get this one done!
Gentlemens Rollerball wrapped in some great Manzanita I got from Fanger a while back. The wood turned and sanded BEAUTIFULLY, but for some reason, I kept horking up the finish. Finally got a finish I was happy with.
tn_ManzanitaGentlemens.jpg

This one went easily, platinum Baron in some Figured Mango from BigRob!
tn_FiguredMango-Baron.jpg

And playing around with new photo lighting. Upgraded to 4 18w CF 6500k color temp bulbs. 2 on swing-arm lamps at the sides, 2 in clamp on reflectors from the top. MUCH better.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Manzanita for the win. The changing color in the grain is great. Looks slightly overturned near the nib end. Probably a result of removing the finish over and over.... not that I know from experience or anything...

BigRob777

Marty,
Yowza!! I've wanted to see a pen in the mango, but this is the first. It looks great, as does the manzanita pen. Thanks for mentioning me. That mango does have an interesting look (in a really good way, not like "oh, this eyeball soup is interesting".[:D] Keep 'em comin'.
Rob

martyb

Never happens does it Skye! But you're right, it is slightly overturned at the nib. In the picture, the slight dip just up from the NIB end accentuates the look, but in the hand, that dip actually helps cover it up. On... several of the attempts, the CA peeled off in sheets. I have NO idea what caused that. In the end, I didn't sand the Manzanita as fine. Must have given the finish more to bite onto this time.

Rob, that Mango is fantastic. It's great looking with just it's standard grain.

johncrane

Both pens look good Marty! with the finish l dont no why most off us are trying to make wood look like glass lam guilty off this my self' there are customers that like wood to fell and look like wood.plastic's is a different story.[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom