European Style Pen from Woodcraft with Madrone Burl 24kt Gold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bobostro61

Bobostro61

Need a little practice on cutting a tenon, but I think it came out OK. I cut the tenon to where the center ring bushing fit perfect on the lathe, but when I put the actual center ring on, the tenon was a little long. Thought I sanded it down enough but when I put the pen together there is still a very slight gap between the upper and lower barrels. With these, I think cutting the tenon just a hair short would be better. First try on this pen, so still learning. I do have to say that the PSI tenon-less version is MUCH more forgiving....

IMG_0994s.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like you did alright for yourself on this one. I always found the hardest part of this pen was to get the lower barrel where it meets that upper barrel skinny enough that it works correctly with the tenon band. If it rubs even a little it makes the pen work hard. I always glued the tenon ring right on the lathe and then finished not sure if it was the right way but is was a way to get it done.

Tom T

Nice pen, nice color, nice lines I have made a bunch of these and I usally taper the tenon a little fatter at the top end that way I get several shoots at it before I turn it to small.
I glue mine at the bench. I also mic. the pen often during the process to help get the diamiter of the barrels correct.

Top Bottom