Banned
Spalted Maple

Attachments

• Euro Pen Spalted Maple.jpg
    Euro Pen Spalted Maple.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 185
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikemac

Nice Work! I have lots of spalted maple blanks kicking around.. but theres such a difference between the Hard and Soft, that its 'almost' too much work to turn ;)

Almost.

Brandon25

Hi Griz,
That pen looks really nice. I love the look of spalted maple. Good work, sir.

Sorry, Griz, if this next part is a little sidebar to your thread, but I think it's close enough to the topic to merit if you'll allow it. I dont mean to take attention from your work at all, and I dont mean to showcase my work either- it's not my intention. Your work is certainly worthy of its own thread of admiration. Mods can remove if they feel appropriate, or you just say the word and I'll delete it:

Hi Mikemac. I've only made seven or eight pens total. I'm very new. The one Euro I did was spalted maple as well. This wont help you with the blanks you have currently, but if you can find some that are cut on the endgrain instead of traditional long grain, you get a very cool effect. More importantly, you dont have so much actual surface area of the softer part that you are turning. It's just little veins that I suspect won't cause so much trouble in transitioning from hard to soft, especially because beside the thin-ness of these lines, they are at least half perpendicular the the axis. I got an end grain one in a bargain bin for fifty cents, and didn't know any better, or what to look for. I'm glad it was cut this way though. It makes nice crisp squiggly lines of black all up and down the pen. Some of my friends call it the map pen because it kinda looks like an aerial view of random land masses where the spalting lines are. I'll try to attach a picture. I'm not very up on the rules/process for picture posting here, but if all else fails take a look at it here at this URL: http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm178/beakesbucket/ambrosiaeuro.jpg
ambrosiaeuro.jpg

Top Bottom