Euro Pen With Parker-Style Refill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sylvanite

Sylvanite

I wanted to make a modified pen that didn't look like a modified pen, so I set out to adapt a euro pen kit to take a parker-style refill. First off, I drilled out the nosecone with a #38 bit. Then I pulled the plug from the end of the refill, turned it down, and threaded it with a M5 x 0.8mm die. That way, it will screw into a standard 7mm transmission:

attachment.php

Normally, I avoid modifying refills, but since a customer can pull the plug out and stick in into a replacement refill, I think it's ok this time.

When attached this way, the transmission will need to be installed in reverse orientation, which necessitates a couple other design changes as well. Standard euro tubes won't grip the tube in this placement, so I cut new ones from some 7mm tube stock. This photo shows all the parts, with the refill screwed into the transmission. The transmission will press into the short upper tube.

attachment.php

I didn't want to change the outside appearance of the pen, however, so I cut the blank such that the tube would extend from the lower barrel, and the tube would be recessed in the upper barrel. Part of the reason I chose a euro-style over a slimline, was to allow a thicker (and therefore stronger) unsupported section of the blank. The blank is made from alumilite white resin, which is strong and durable even without a brass tube. I selected a green marble pattern. This is the pen completed but with the halves separated.

attachment.php

And here is a photo of the finished, assembled pen. The only oddity, is that the refill extends with a counterclockwise twist (opposite how a regular slim/euro pen twists).

attachment.php

I hope that was interesting,
Eric

Attachments

• RefillPlug.jpg
    RefillPlug.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 845
  • ParkerEuroParts.jpg
    ParkerEuroParts.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 899
  • ParkerEuroOpen.jpg
    ParkerEuroOpen.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 880
  • ParkerEuro.jpg
    ParkerEuro.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 935
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

The only issue I see is when you need to refill it...
When the ink runs out, I'll simply unscrew the refill from the transmission; pull the modified plug out of the refill; remove the plug from new refill; push the modified plug in the new refill; and then screw it back into the transmission. If I planned to sell the pen, I'd probably make a nicer looking threaded plug from a piece of brass, or maybe black Alumilite.

Regards,
Eric

its_virgil

Nice mod Eric...and it doesn't look like a modified pen. BTW, Berea has the Euro pen which uses a Parker refill. Looks the same as the 7mm Euro. You may already know this but thought I would let you know just in case you didn't and need more.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

BSea

Nice mod Eric...and it doesn't look like a modified pen. BTW, Berea has the Euro pen which uses a Parker refill. Looks the same as the 7mm Euro. You may already know this but thought I would let you know just in case you didn't and need more.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Lau Lau woods also has a double twist euro called the Neopean. It has a different clip though. Plus it's larger than a standard euro. Probably the same size as the Berea double twist version.

And I also think it's a cool mod. Good job! :good:

Sylvanite

Berea has the Euro pen which uses a Parker refill. Looks the same as the 7mm Euro. Don
The Berea european pen that takes a Parker-style refill uses 8mm tubes. I wanted to use 7mm tubes and transmission. I originally intended to make a slimline pen (and could have) but decided that the thicker upper barrel of a euro pen would be better for an unsupported blank.

I suppose this modification would work work well on a Russline style pen.

OZturner

Eric, that wasn't just interesting, it was Brilliant.
Thank you for the detailed explanation and photographs,
The finished result is Outstanding.
Great Fit and Superb Finish.
Congratulations,
Brian.

budnder

Great!

FYI - had left a comment here earlier that I used a #40 bit for something similar with a Parker refill... I ended up using #38 as well as it would occasionally catch with a #40.

Thumbs up on your efforts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom