Euro in Gun Metal/Thuya Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

Round Top Euro from BTW, gunmetal hardware and Thuya Burl. Not perfect, but I have definitely been making progress. I cut a little too much for the tenon but I'll live with it. I still need to get the hang of the "european curve" they call for on this kit. Finished with CA.

Thanks for looking and sorry about my blue hand. I have to cover up with this stuff or I get a rash.

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuckinohio

Looks nice! I've never done a round top euro. Didn't know how i felt about the shape, but it looks very nice. Good job!

RobS

I love this kit. It's a nice classed up 7mm, for people who want a skinner pen. Love how yours came out.

OZturner

Excellent Pen, TT.
Glorious Thuya Burl Blank,
Love the Shape you have Achieved, nice Excellent Profile, and Suits a Round Top Pen
Excellent Finish. BTW I couldn't notice too much wrong with the Tenon Area.
Congratulations,
Brian.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The pen looks beautiful from my eyes. Your finish is especially nice.

Just a word of caution which you can surely ignore if you are certain of your procedures: If you are certain of something that will give you a rash, the gloves will give you a false sense of security - "sensitizers" are sneaky buggers and will do their damage (just slower) with airborne and contact dust on tools, lathe, floor, and the dust that will get spread throughout your shop.

I have battled skin rashes for 3 years now and only recently been able to stop taking Cyclosporin (which as a side affect is not good for blood pressure and kidney functions).

The beautiful woods I have learned to pass on are not worth the future woods I want to explore! (For me: Rosewoods and Padauk).

Cheers! Beautiful pen though :)

Thanks to all who replied for the kind words. This one was a lot of work due to several sand throughs while finishing. The top barrel was finished twice, the bottom 4 times. It almost seemed like the burl was soaking up the thin CA. Total time finishing was about 5 hours, although I kept stepping away in between coats to keep calm with a good cigar. I used a light hand wetsanding, starting at 400 grit, but the sand throughs plagued me throughout the entire process. I've never had this kind of trouble before.

I love this kit. It's a nice classed up 7mm, for people who want a skinner pen. Love how yours came out.

Thank You! This is actually the 8.2 mm ("O" bit) Round Top Euro, or "8mm" Euro. I like it more because it's a bit thicker and the twist mech is nicer than the 7mm, and it's a double twist.

You did a nice job on that, Jay !!!! . Don't you love Thuya !!

Thank You! Yes, the first time I saw Thuya burl I was in love. Such a rich, beautiful dark wood. An alltime fave of mine.

Excellent Pen, TT.
Glorious Thuya Burl Blank,
Love the Shape you have Achieved, nice Excellent Profile, and Suits a Round Top Pen
Excellent Finish. BTW I couldn't notice too much wrong with the Tenon Area.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Thank you Brian. Good to see you back and posting regularly. I enjoy your signature style of comments in the Showoff forum, they're almost like reading a short bit of poetry! Your kind words and way of expressing them build confidence in us newbies.

The pen looks beautiful from my eyes. Your finish is especially nice.

Just a word of caution which you can surely ignore if you are certain of your procedures: If you are certain of something that will give you a rash, the gloves will give you a false sense of security - "sensitizers" are sneaky buggers and will do their damage (just slower) with airborne and contact dust on tools, lathe, floor, and the dust that will get spread throughout your shop.

I have battled skin rashes for 3 years now and only recently been able to stop taking Cyclosporin (which as a side affect is not good for blood pressure and kidney functions).

The beautiful woods I have learned to pass on are not worth the future woods I want to explore! (For me: Rosewoods and Padauk).

Cheers! Beautiful pen though :)

Your advice is not lost. I spent a month covered in a blistery rash when I first started turning resins and exotic woods. I cover completely head to toe and wear a respirator. Judicious cleaning with a shop vac and spraying all tools and equipment with an air compressor, followed by wiping down my tools, then shop vac again is my cleanup routine. The garage door is then opened for a complete airing out with a fan blowing. It's extreme, but I haven't had any contact rashes since. I also work with maple & walnut alot as they're deemed safe, along with all other domestic woods I've used. And thank you!

Top Bottom