Etched Chevy Bowtie & Checkers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
A tribute to Brad G. the PenChemist :biggrin: Made the cap a few months ago, while visiting with Mike Redbur, Mike Roux and Marshall Petrik. We each did a little etching crash test. I intentionally left my cap in the solution to get a scratched surface effect. Yesterday, I decided to turn the lower barrel, and attempt to get the same results. Left it in a little too long, as the solution wasn't heated. It was still fun though.

I got the checkered effect by cutting little squares from a sheet of vinyl lettering material with scissors. The edges tended to come loose, probably because I left it in the solution too long. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_1426.jpg
    IMG_1426.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_1427.JPG
    IMG_1427.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1428.jpg
    IMG_1428.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_1429.JPG
    IMG_1429.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That is very cool Chuck!!!
On the next one, I expect the letters to be in the Chevy logo. :)

(Just kidding!! ) :)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
That is very cool Chuck!!!
On the next one, I expect the letters to be in the Chevy logo. :)

(Just kidding!! ) :)
Thanks Steven. I tried for an hour to draw a number "3" Finally giving up and, settling for squares. :redface: I didn't realize how my hands shake.

Actually very nice for the first completion. Like the concept and design.
Thanks Tim!

BradG

Well done Chuck. Extra point for giving it a go!

Did you pour boiling water over your piece when you put the stickers on? as if you didn't, the edges are likely to peel up :)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Great start Chuck, at least your efforts made it to pen status. Mike Roux's and mine are still sitting on a bench waiting.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice job on that one Chuck. Great pen.
Thanks Mike.

very cool Chuck! I seriously need to come down for one of these gatherings! I'd love to give this a try.
You are welcome anytime Jonathon. It IS an experience :biggrin:

Well done Chuck. Extra point for giving it a go!

Did you pour boiling water over your piece when you put the stickers on? as if you didn't, the edges are likely to peel up :)
Thank you Brad. That would be the step I forgot.:redface:

Great start Chuck, at least your efforts made it to pen status. Mike Roux's and mine are still sitting on a bench waiting.
Thanks Mike, I decided not to wait any longer.

Oh yes, now this is what I need to try...Jonathon..Lets start mixing some chemicals and see what we can blow up.

Awesome Pen Dale!!
You just need to jump in and give it a go. The good part of it is, there's no mixing.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Check on Bradg"s website Pen chemestry He has the video on how and what you need and in what amounts. Ferric Chloride, Citric acid and a spoon of copper a copper fitting disolved in the solution.

Yes but Brad scares the living crap outa me...I know if I tried some of the stuff he does homeland security will knock on my door wanting to see the bomb I was making..

I am on the link, this is something I know I can mess up..cant wait to try. Jonathon we are doing this in your shop first just in case of fire or explosion.

BradG

lol you don't have a lot to worry about with ferric chloride and citric too much.. they splash it around in schools all over kids without panicking too much . if anything its more reputable for making a mess! stains pretty much everything it touches. wear gloves and safety glasses for good measure. An apron is a good choice too.. though that's just to save you staining your clothes

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I got the checkered effect by cutting little squares from a sheet of vinyl lettering material with scissors. The edges tended to come loose, probably because I left it in the solution too long. Thanks for looking!

something that might help is finding some blank vinyl bumper stickers.
I'd say get some scrap vinyl from a sign cutter, but that tends to be
a little too thick to wrap around a pen tube and stay put. But the
bumper sticker material is thinner.

Then you could give the artwork to someone with a laser and have
them vector cut it. (kiss-cut is no problem for lasers provided they
have adequate ventilation.. important for your engraver to know since
vinyl is usually a no-no in a laser)

That would allow you to get sharp, clean lines exactly where you want
them without having to handle the vinyl too much. When you have to
hold the vinyl a lot, the oils in your fingers tends to reduce the efficacy
of the adhesive. That would also lead to lifting edges.

When you're done, drop the whole thing in an acetone bath and the
vinyl will just fall off.

BradG

Yes but Brad scares the living crap outa me...I know if I tried some of the stuff he does homeland security will knock on my door wanting to see the bomb I was making..

I am on the link, this is something I know I can mess up..cant wait to try. Jonathon we are doing this in your shop first just in case of fire or explosion.

my wife says imagine how she feels :cool: nice to know she has confidence in me not to gas or blow up the house.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck...what is the link to the way you did this..I think I saw awhile back when you where doing this

ExoEtching Aluminium

:)
Thanks for posting this for me Brad. I should have read it again, before I started on it.

something that might help is finding some blank vinyl bumper stickers.
I'd say get some scrap vinyl from a sign cutter, but that tends to be
a little too thick to wrap around a pen tube and stay put. But the
bumper sticker material is thinner.

Then you could give the artwork to someone with a laser and have
them vector cut it. (kiss-cut is no problem for lasers provided they
have adequate ventilation.. important for your engraver to know since
vinyl is usually a no-no in a laser)

That would allow you to get sharp, clean lines exactly where you want
them without having to handle the vinyl too much. When you have to
hold the vinyl a lot, the oils in your fingers tends to reduce the efficacy
of the adhesive. That would also lead to lifting edges.

When you're done, drop the whole thing in an acetone bath and the
vinyl will just fall off.
Thanks Charlie, I've sort of half heartedly searched for one of those machines around here, but so far, no results. That would be perfect for this application. Will make note of the acetone bath.

Chuck,
That pen is a great start, and it is much nicer in person.... Glad to see Charlie is still kicking around too.
Thanks Cris....and for the lunch too:biggrin: Those wings were REALLY good:wink::biggrin:

my wife says imagine how she feels :cool: nice to know she has confidence in me not to gas or blow up the house.

my wife said I could try whatever I wanted in the shop..and added..its not a matter of confidence she has in me its the size of insurance policy you carry! :befuddled::eek:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Lunch? Did someone say Lunch?
YES!!! Cris was driving thru my area yesterday, and invited me to have lunch. He is well and, still busy. It was good to see him this year.:biggrin:

Very nice pen, I would say very cool, but that was used early on.
Glad you like it Tom, thanks.

I really like this one, looks really cool Chuck!
Thank you John. I expect to improve as I get along with this.

Top Bottom