Esterbrook eyedropper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeinSC

MikeinSC

I love, love, love my Esterbrooks. They are the FP that pushed me over the edge on FP's.

Quite some time ago, I asked Mr Brooks if he would help me with kitless. He's an hour and a half from me so when he said yes, I made sure that I got to his house. I knew making the move to kitless pens was the next progressive step I wanted to take in my pen making career. So spending the time with him to learn really cemented that.

Now, due to laziness and mostly working every day there is, it has taken 5-6 months for me to turn my own. So when I was popping PR blanks out of the mold the other day, I looked at one of the blue ones and decided it would finally happen.

I made a bunch of tests from scraps for about two days off and on while trying to remember the steps we took and figuring out what I did forget. Which was a lot and includes the notes I took while there.

So the pen is an eyedropper from my own PR castings. It holds just over 5ml of ink. The section is friction fit, shellacked in place and tapped for Esterbrook nibs. Weight is right at 16 grams empty and is a little longer than an Estie J. Heat is not a friend of this pen, so no leaving it in temps over 120°.

Attachments

• IMG_3816.jpg
    IMG_3816.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_3827.jpg
    IMG_3827.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 281

darrin1200

Nice pen Mike.

While I'm not a fan of the step down to the section {personal preference}, it is a nice simple design. The cap to barrel connection looks perfect. Do you plan on adding a clip?

I have a few Esterbrooks myself. They all need a little work and I know I wont be able to fix them all. This is a nice inspiration for the spare pieces.

MikeinSC

Darrin,
No clip plans just yet for that pen. The finials are epoxied in. And on the cap, the tenon part of the finial is drilled out to make sure there is plenty of room for the nib.

Maybe in the future but don't know where to get a good clip that doesn't come off a kit.

In the past, I've considered getting a die made to stamp my own from stainless, much the same way Esterbrook did in the J pens. Certainly not what the new guy is doing these days.

Top Bottom