Escarpment Live Oak Worthless Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
It has been a while since I posted a pic so I thought I would share a few. This is an Escarpment Live Oak "Texas Hybrid" worthless wood blank on a Jr. Statesman with a CA finish. It part of a corporate order of 6 of these I did for a customer that orders 6 pens each year from me. It sold for $140

I know the first photo makes it look like it is overturned at the refill end but I assure you, it is not! Not sure why it came out that way.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Live Oak.jpg
    Live Oak.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 493
  • LiveOakTaylor1.jpg
    LiveOakTaylor1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 198
  • LiveOakTaylor2.jpg
    LiveOakTaylor2.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 215
  • Liveoaktaylor3.jpg
    Liveoaktaylor3.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Gorgeous as usual even if it is that other resin stuff.:biggrin::biggrin: You do exquisite work and I enjoy looking every time you share with us.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

It has been a while since I posted a pic so I thought I would share a few. This is an Escarpment Live Oak "Texas Hybrid" worthless wood blank on a Jr. Statesman with a CA finish. It part of a corporate order of 6 of these I did for a customer that orders 6 pens each year from me. It sold for $140

I know the first photo makes it look like it is overturned at the refill end but I assure you, it is not! Not sure why it came out that way.

mick

Curtis, love the colors! Beautiful pen and perfect for the Black Titanium hardware!

I always hate when there's an illusion of something wrong in the pics. I'm afraid someone will see it and not realize it's the picture, not the pen.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I just noticed something is the last pic, the closeup...you can see the reflection of the clip on the black backdrop AND on the pen itself. I thought that was pretty cool!

phillywood

Curtis, that's beautiful pen. I wonder that was a burl of live oak or how did you get those swirly grains in it. it doesn't look like the live oak stuff 60 miles south of you though. heck if it turns like that with the color resin that worth a nice name not a worthless. That pen look real cool.
BTW, is the resin two color or one. It sure looks like a mixture. or is it the way you poured it that way?

PaulDoug

I am one the few, if not the only, person that has not been excited about the WW thing. HOWEVER, a pen like that is really changing my point of view. That is a beautiful pen!

phillywood

I am one the few, if not the only, person that has not been excited about the WW thing. HOWEVER, a pen like that is really changing my point of view. That is a beautiful pen!

Paul, I think it's the way Curtis mastered how to cast them in resin and add the colors to it. I have seen another member's work that they can envision how a certain cut off or piece of burl will look after they are done casting it. I think they have done so many that helps them out. I still have hard time trying to figure out that how you cut the log to planks that you get the prettiest presentation of the grain pattern. Curtis's blanks look very nice up close if you could see them, even in their raw square shape yet.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Thank you all. My blanks are not burl caps cast in resin. They are all kinds of various different pieces, mostly roots and such, that have been carefully cleaned and then cast. It takes a LOT more work to make them than just cutting up a burl cap and casting it but the end results are worth it, in my opinion.

As for the photo...no I am not a pro photographer or even a photo enthusiast. I do not shoot with a high dollar camera with expensive lenses. Actually, I use a Sony DSC H5 that is about 5 years old. It is not a DSLR, just a really good point and shoot with lots of manual settings. I then took the time to read a lot on some Sony forums in various different setting to try and then started playing until I found the best settings for what I want to do.

My photos have very little post processing either. I crop them, clean up any dust on my black background, and re-size. That is pretty much it. I do not change lighting or white balance, all that was handled at the time of shooting the photo.

Anyway, thanks again for the kind comments. I really appreciate it!

JohnU

I can see why the customer wants 6. The resin colors are perfect with that wood. Perfect job Casting as always. Absolutely Beautiful! I hope to see this one on the front page! Stunning work!

atomic ray

A beautiful blend of color, wood, and movement...seriously strikes a chord with my sense of balance...a 9+ easy, only leaving a rating of 10 out to have a goal...really nice.

Raymond

:bananen_smilies068:

Last edited:

PaulDoug

Can I quote myself?:confused: I just wanted to come back and make a confession. After looking at this pen a few more times I actually put in an order for one of your WW blanks (and a cactus). Couldn't get the 'live oak' but I think what I ordered will be pretty.

What is "live oak"? Does that mean it wasn't dried before casting?

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Can I quote myself?:confused: I just wanted to come back and make a confession. After looking at this pen a few more times I actually put in an order for one of your WW blanks (and a cactus). Couldn't get the 'live oak' but I think what I ordered will be pretty.

I have a bunch of Live Oak blank made and photographed just waiting for me to find time to put them up. If you would prefer Live Oak, we can certainly swap. BTW, Live Oak is a species of oak (Quercus virginiana).

PaulDoug

I have a bunch of Live Oak blank made and photographed just waiting for me to find time to put them up. If you would prefer Live Oak, we can certainly swap. BTW, Live Oak is a species of oak (Quercus virginiana).

I ordered one of the Spanish Oak one that looked great in the picture. I think I will be happy with it, unless it is harder to turn than the Live Oak.

phillywood

Paul, I think they call it that here because it never sheds the leaves and man you don't want to be around when the darn thing is in pollination it turns everything yellow, I kid you not. And, anything under that tree turns brown and stains form it is hard to get rid of. But, its a beautiful tree and if you have it then it gives you nicest fullest shade you can get from a tree. I think it grows in abundance down here because of the heat.

hewunch

Curtis, awesome pen. The customer will probably need to give sunglasses with the pens too though for the reflection off the finish.

PaulDoug, "Live Oak" is just a flavor of oak. It has leaves year round, hence the name.

Curtis, I think the reason the first shot looks over turned (if we are seeing the same thing) is that you have a thin piece of wood at the "ring" and that light up against the dark read and bright silver is causing your issue.

Top Bottom