escarpment live oak burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from altaciii

altaciii

I got this blank from Curtis (mesquiteman) who prefers to turn nothing but Texas woods. I had to look up the word escarpment and now know why he named it. The blank cast with blue aluminite and is very dense. I had to sharpen my tools more than once to turn it. I got the Jr Statesman from the good folks at http://www.exoticblanks.com I find that their service is way above the bar. polished to 12mm then eee finish, ren wax to shine. Viola!

Attachments

• escarpmentliveoakburl.jpg
    escarpmentliveoakburl.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 319
  • escarpmentliveoakburl2.jpg
    escarpmentliveoakburl2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 288
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bree

Looks great! I have one from Curtis with red fill that I am waiting to get working on. Darn blank looks so good I don't want to turn it!! LOL!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Mickey

It's a transition area up in the panhandle of Texas that runs a couple hundred miles. I believe it's where one geologic area meets another and results in rocky outcroppings.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Escarpment Live Oak, Plateau Live Oak, Scrub Live Oak, West Texas Live Oak, Live Oak
Quercus fusiformis

Fagaceae (white oak group) Escarpment Live Oak can be thought of as a smaller version of Live Oak (Q. virginiana). It grows on well-drained soils from alkaline to slightly acid, although it is rare in the heavy clay of the true Blackland Prairies. It is thicket-forming, spreading from root sprouts to form "mottes." Escarpment Live Oak is more drought- and cold-tolerant than Coastal Live Oak (Q. virginiana), and can grow in more alkaline soil. In large portions of Central Texas, the live oak populations are hybrids between Q. fusiformis and Q. virginiana. Both species are susceptible to the oak wilt fungus

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/natives/quercusfusiformis.htm

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Escarpment Live Oak, Plateau Live Oak, Scrub Live Oak, West Texas Live Oak, Live Oak
Quercus fusiformis

Fagaceae (white oak group) Escarpment Live Oak can be thought of as a smaller version of Live Oak (Q. virginiana). It grows on well-drained soils from alkaline to slightly acid, although it is rare in the heavy clay of the true Blackland Prairies. It is thicket-forming, spreading from root sprouts to form "mottes." Escarpment Live Oak is more drought- and cold-tolerant than Coastal Live Oak (Q. virginiana), and can grow in more alkaline soil. In large portions of Central Texas, the live oak populations are hybrids between Q. fusiformis and Q. virginiana. Both species are susceptible to the oak wilt fungus

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/natives/quercusfusiformis.htm

Yeah, that is what I thought it was!! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom