Escarpment Black Cherry on Jr. Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

I took a break from pen making until my shoulder quit hurting. Finally decided to start again this morning with Curtis's creation in his "Worthless Wood" Series. The blank is an Escarpment Black Cherry and pen is a Jr. Statesman.
Sanded to 600 grit. Medium CA X 10 coats. Back to 600 grit, cross-sanded and then Micro Mesh wet to 12000 grit. Finished with HUT plastic polish and Ren Wax. Any comments welcome and thank you for looking.
I hope everyone is having a great and restful Sunday ! :)
Doc

Attachments

• Jr Statesman with Escarpment Black Cherry_2.jpg
    Jr Statesman with Escarpment Black Cherry_2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 370
  • Jr Statesman with Escarpment Black Cherry.jpg
    Jr Statesman with Escarpment Black Cherry.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 406
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

I'm look'n and really like'n. That is a beautiful pen. I'm going to become a WW convert yet! I think the ones with the red combo are my favorite.

I've been wanting to ask this question:
why is it called "Escarpment"?

An escarpment is a steep slope or long cliff that results from erosion or faulting and separates two relatively level areas of differing elevations. From Wikipedia.

Last edited:

wizard

Scott, I didn't paint the tubes...I painted the inside of the blank with Testor's
red paint and a q-tip prior to inserting the sanded tubes. Doc

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Paul,

It is called escarpment because that was the name give to it by the tree naming guys! :)

Seriously, the Balcones Escarpment is a very large escarpment like your definition that covers the west portion of Central Texas. (more info here) It is basically a really cool "line in the sand" that separates the rolling blackland prairie to the east and the Texas Hill Country to the west. There are a number of species of trees with varieties unique to the area that are found no where else in the world. A couple that come to mind are Escarpment Live Oak (Quercus fusiformi) and Escarpment Black Cherry (Prunus serotina var. eximia).

The wood from both at just a little different from their cousins. For example, the Escarpment Black Cherry is typically more pink/orange and is becoming quite rare since it was uncommon to begin with and there is a disease that is taking them out.

shawnmhill

Nice Finish! Good job on the "back painting" the blank! It looks great. I hope one day I can get my finish as well as that. Shawn

wizard

Nice Finish! Good job on the "back painting" the blank! It looks great. I hope one day I can get my finish as well as that. Shawn

Shawn.. I used the "back painting" technique you told me about as well as the CA finishing technique ...:).. and by the way, I have seen your finishes.. up close...:wink:and they are every bit as nice or nicer. Doc

wizard

Doc its great seeing your pens again, I have missed them!! So how did/does your shoulder feel since making the pen?

Toni, Thank you for asking..shoulder is doing better.. started physical torture.. I mean therapy.. :eek:. Regards, Doc

wizard

Paul,

It is called escarpment because that was the name give to it by the tree naming guys! :)

Seriously, the Balcones Escarpment is a very large escarpment like your definition that covers the west portion of Central Texas. (more info here) It is basically a really cool "line in the sand" that separates the rolling blackland prairie to the east and the Texas Hill Country to the west. There are a number of species of trees with varieties unique to the area that are found no where else in the world. A couple that come to mind are Escarpment Live Oak (Quercus fusiformi) and Escarpment Black Cherry (Prunus serotina var. eximia).

The wood from both at just a little different from their cousins. For example, the Escarpment Black Cherry is typically more pink/orange and is becoming quite rare since it was uncommon to begin with and there is a disease that is taking them out.

Curtis, Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense. I learn something new every time I'm on IAP.:) Doc

Top Bottom