Environ Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

New material for me. It's an enginerred product called Environ. I'm still tring to locate a good source for this, but I'll let y'all know if I find one. I got these off eBay. I started with the most drab color I had (kind of an olive drab grren). Satin Nickel hardware, CA/BLO finish. It looks a lot like Corian and is probably nearly as hard.

20069715611_baronSN_olive_environ.jpg

Has anyone else tried this stuff?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

angboy

Nice pen Billy. As usual, nice design. As far as finding a source for it- wasn't the ebay price cheaper than CSUSA? I got a set from the ebay guy awhile back and I was thinking that even with shipping it was less than $3.50 a blank. The bad thing was you couldn't choose your colors, so if you didn't like the set, you were SOL. I haven't looked recently, but I'd only seen that person sell them as the mixed package with one of each color. I'd e-mailed them and asked if they could do sort of a csutom set, and never got a response. So it may be a matter of cheaper for a set that you may not like all the colors, or more expensive for a choice. Personally, I really liked the way it came out when I made a pen out of it.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Interesting material,I would think dued MDF would have the same effect (or similar).That idea was used about a year and a half ago by someone who wanted the blank material named after him.
I did a search on Environ in the archives and came up with a few refrences to it and a link to the company that makes the raw boards.
One pen posted looks similar to an antler core pen I turned and stabilized a while back.
Your pen reminds me of shredded money.

baldysm

Yes, CSUSA has it.

I have used it a few times. I'll never buy it again. It's ok to turn, but doesn't sell worth beans.

alamocdc

Angela, I think it was cheaper than CSUSA and there were more colors. Yes, it came as a presorted group so you aren't able to choose, but this was my least favorite of the colors. I like the look of the others... at least prior to turning them.

Eagle, this may be made from recycled newspaper. They had a product that was. I found out from a little research that this is the company that makes the Dakota burl material (engineered product made from sunflower seed shells) and they have a number of other biocomposites on the market. All of there stuff is supposedly biodegradable and environmentally friendly. Does this mean this pen will fall apart in time?[}:)][:p]

gerryr

Just don't ever get it wet![:D] Good looking pen, BTW. I have a piece of something similar I got from Mudder but haven't done anything with it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom