With Enough Rope...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

... and a little resin, you can make a nice looking and patriotic pen.
biggrin.gif
This is a prototype and will become a carry pen for the LOML. I tried out a casting method that I will post more about in the casting forum.

CSUSA Artisan Slimline dressed in a very patriotic nylon rope. This is the first Artisan SL I have made. They come with a logoed(Dayacom German w/carbide tip) refill that writes several cuts above the typical kit refill.

Cast in Alumilite Clear, polished to 12000mm, Finished with a coat of Renaissance wax.
IMG_6503_2_4_Detail.jpg IMG_6512_1_3_Detail.jpg

C&C welcomed.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeL

Very nice and very creative. Seems there is no end to pen making material. "A" for the pen and finish. "A+" for creativity.

76winger

That a winner in the visual category. Really like the blue with spots of red and white. Amazing you did that with a rope!

robutacion

Very Nice! Is that paracord? People are making everything with that stuff these days. Very creative!:good:

-Rick

Oh yeah, how correct are you...??? bull-eye, in my books..!

You don't have to go anywhere to look for something that cab be cast/or not and made into a pen, each room of the house will provide something, the best places are the kitchen, garage and work-shop. As for outside the house, the possibilities are endless, you only need that little bit of imagination and creativity to get around the obstacles that you may encounter in the process department but, anything is possible...!

Rope, oh yes, it looks pretty good in a pen...!

Cheers
George

JD Combs Sr

Very nice and very creative. Seems there is no end to pen making material. "A" for the pen and finish. "A+" for creativity.
Thanks Mike, I owe my inspiration to several IAP folks who do braid type pens.

That a winner in the visual category. Really like the blue with spots of red and white. Amazing you did that with a rope!
Thanks Dave, I thought the colors of the rope would make a great patriotic pen.

Very Nice! Is that paracord? People are making everything with that stuff these days. Very creative!:good:
-Rick
Thanks Rick, this particular rope happens to be some that is stock by Lowe's but I just ordered some short(5') pieces from a sport's site. I got the impression from the site that a lot of their cord is used in rock climbing and rappelling. They sure had a variety of colors including black which I believe will look very much like carbon fiber but at a lot less cost.

Very cool! Just goes to show just how many objects there are that can be made into a pen. Great casting!
Thanks Jonathon, as I noted to Rick, I think the rope makes a great substitute for the more expensive carbon fiber braids as well as metal ones.

Cool! I like it!
Thanks Dale&Jen for looking and commenting.

Awesome pen. I am about 40 miles from Owingsvile....do you entertain shop visitors? :)
Thanks Brent, my shop not much to look at but you most assuredly welcome to visit it. Feel free to drop in, I am retired and here pretty much most of the time. Drop me a line via PM and let me when you are in the area and I will sweep up a little:wink:.

-Rick
Oh yeah, how correct are you...??? bull-eye, in my books..!
You don't have to go anywhere to look for something that cab be cast/or not and made into a pen, each room of the house will provide something, the best places are the kitchen, garage and work-shop. As for outside the house, the possibilities are endless, you only need that little bit of imagination and creativity to get around the obstacles that you may encounter in the process department but, anything is possible...!
Rope, oh yes, it looks pretty good in a pen...!
Cheers
George
Thanks George appreciate your comments and agree, I am always looking for something that can be made into a pen or ornament when I am browsing stores with my wife.

Amazing, very nice.
Thanks Tom, thanks for looking and commenting.

Again thanks everyone for looking and commenting. As I noted above this rope came from Lowe's and is just labeled nylon rope but it may be the same as para-cord, I am not familiar enough with cords to know the difference, I just thought it had some great color. I also purchased a 3/8x100' rope labeled as "camo" rope. It looks very similar to the "digital camo" you see in some blanks except the digits are diamond shaped instead of squares, you know how braid looks. I will cast one in it and let everyone see what it looks like.

Top Bottom