Enough already

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from txbob

Status
Not open for further replies.

txbob

Hi Gang,
Anybody else getting tired of making twist pens? Most of what's out there in the world are click pens, not pens with twist mechanisms. I'm going to look around and see what else I can find. Yes, I know Berea makes a click pen, but IMHO it has a problem. Anyone else ever made one of them? Any other suggestions?

2004111801210_3pens.jpg

Here's a pic of two of the new CSUSA pocket pens, one with the tip out and one with the tip stored, and a Bic with a wooden sleeve. Thanks to whoever first posted the Bic pen idea.
Bob in TX

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom McMillan

Hey Bob in TX---No, really I don't think I'll get tired of the twist pens---been turning em for 10 years at least now----I've only done a couple click pens some time ago--and I wasn't happy with the ones I did---as I understand it some of the newer ones are better, so, guess it's likely time to try em again.

Nice job on the pocket pens & the BIC!!!!

wayneis

No I can't say that I'm tiring of turning twist pens either. There are so many out there to choose from, especially with all of the different finishes. Now there are more new ones on the market. Try the new Jr. Gent ballpoint twist, excellent pen and pencil. Bill Baumbeck has the olympia, pretty classy pen also.

Wayne

Scott

Hi Bob!

Nice pens! I knew you'd like that pocket pen! And I have to say you do it justice!

Take care!

Scott.

daledut

I still like the twist pens, but I have always prefered a click pen to use. I have made several of the PSI Slimline Pro click pens and like them.

The biggest drawback to the SLP is it is harder to customize since the CB is structural.

I believe I am the one who developed the Bic click with the wooden sleeve. They are okay as a giveaway, but are a bit cheap for my taste.

I have experimented with a few better quality commercial click pens. So far I have yet to find a medium quality pen that lends itself to wooden accents.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I've always loved a twist pen. I think it comes from the years I spent in the military and federal government using their cheap, plastic pens. After that, everything was a dream. Fortunately, we have additional options, such as click-cap and screw cap pens. I doubt I'll get tired of any of them, as long as I can find a new way to express myself through them. [8D]

txbob

Thanks for the comments, and thanks to Dale for the Bic idea. I didn't remember who had done it first. Yes, they look kinda cheap, but they're also very inexpensive and quick. Great stocking stuffers for the grandkids.

I'll take a look at the PSI slimline pro kit. I'm hoping to find something that gives me more flexiblity in design. Someday I'll come up with something really different.

The pocket pens from CSUSA are easy kits, only one tube. Easy for kids to do, and they should also lend themselves well to making desk pens.

Keep on turning,
Bob S.

daledut

The PSI SL Pro is harder to customize but not impossible. Here are a few I have made. I have made others but don't have the photos with me.

2004111922431_dutridged08.jpg
<br />

2004111922450_dutridged18.jpg
<br />

2004111922525_dutridged52.jpg
<br />

PenWorks

Hi Bob, What size did you cut your blank to start your pocket pen? and what size length, did it end up being? I turned one tonight and to small for my liking. Not enough room for my big ol hands to navigate. I think I may have started with to short of a blank. Anthony

txbob

Originally posted by penworks
<br />Hi Bob, What size did you cut your blank to start your pocket pen? and what size length, did it end up being? I turned one tonight and to small for my liking. Not enough room for my big ol hands to navigate. I think I may have started with to short of a blank. Anthony
Hi Anthony,
I agree, they're too small for most adult hands. The big problem with the kit is that the piece you hold onto when writing is only 1/4 inch diameter, and that's way too small. These two were made as Christmas presents for two grandaughters, age 9 & 11. I only bought 5 kits, and that may be a lifetime supply. [:)]

The wood on the two pens shown above ended up being 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 inches long. The blanks were cut about 1/4 inch longer than that. I want to make one for an adult, and I'll start with a blank about 4 inches long. And I want to experiment with a desk pen design where the wood is 5 or 6 inches long.
Bob S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom