Engraved White Corian Cigar Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeD

MikeD

I do a lot of engraving, so I try to keep the pens simple and the engraving detailed.
This Cigar Pen is white Corian. the engraving has been filled with black paint.

Attachments

• Irish Sept Pen 800w.jpg
    Irish Sept Pen 800w.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

I do a lot of engraving, so I try to keep the pens simple and the engraving detailed.
This Cigar Pen is white Corian. the engraving has been filled with black paint.
That is wonderfully distinctive. How on earth do you engrave like that?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

magpens

Very beautiful work !!!! . I would love to learn more about the process, although I'll probably never do it myself.

What tools/machines do you use to do the engraving ? . CNC ?

Presumably you could fill the engraving with any color paint.
What type of paint do you use ?

MikeD

reply to technique?

There is an old joke about a guy who is lost in New York City. He stops a passerby and asks "How can I get to Carnegie Hall?" , -and I think we all know the reply- "Practice"

I do a lot of trial and error. This is a vector drawing done in shades of gray.

1 thing I have done over time, that has helped me. I use corel draw, so I created a gray scale from their color bar. They go from white to black in 10% steps I added steps so I go from white to black in 5% steps. I run that on a piece of whatever I need to engrave, then color my drawing to achieve the desired effect.

I use some black color fill that I bought from Laserbits about a decade ago. I just about have to stand on the bottle to get any out, but it still does the job, and yes you can use any color.

I use a 40 watt Epilog laser

OZturner

Fantastic Engraving Mike.
Do you Colour your White Corian, with the Black Paint or Marker to reduce the Laser Reflecting off the White Corian Surface?
Magnificent Drawing, and Superb Engraving.
Congratulations,
Brian.

MikeD

reply to Brian

Maybe i'm just oblivious, but I have never seen surface reflection as an issue. If I am losing some depth from it, I would already have compensated for it from my pre-image burns.

I test a new image by turning about half way to the finished shape. I polish as if done, then engrave and color fill. With luck, it is right on the money, if not, I toss it back on the lathe and only remove material to remove the image, and repeat the process. I rarely have to go to a third try. If I like it I finish the pen on the lathe and the do the real engrave.

Once it is good to go, that is it. With this image, since it is personalized, I would just change the names, black is black. The new shield, depending on complexity, may require a new test before adding it to the overall image. This is vector, so I can add, subtract or move any portion of the image at will.

Top Bottom