End Grain Golden Mulberry Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bree

Bree

Here is a Golden Mulberry cigar pen made from an end grain cut. It has about 10 coats of thin CA, MM-12000 and two hits of polishes. The wood is soft and requires very sharp tools or it tends to tear out a bit.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Attachments

• P1010661.JPG
    P1010661.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 204
  • P1010659.JPG
    P1010659.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 199
  • P1010658.JPG
    P1010658.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 150
  • P1010657.JPG
    P1010657.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 118
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You've always had a keen eye for wood. The way the grain lines up is cool. I'm guessing this is a piece of cross cut? Great finish and photos too. Keep 'em coming!

StephenM

That's beautiful! We have a 2' diameter mulberry in the backyard and I see a lot of pens coming out of it (as well as chunks for BBQ). If they look half as nice as yours, I'll be happy.

SDB777

That's beautiful! We have a 2' diameter mulberry in the backyard and I see a lot of pens coming out of it (as well as chunks for BBQ). If they look half as nice as yours, I'll be happy.

Word of caution, Mulberry cracks like there's no tomorrow after it's cut. Process immediately and get some sealer on the endgrain.

Fantastic finish you did on this one!

Scott (that's pretty slick) B

Bree

Word of caution, Mulberry cracks like there's no tomorrow after it's cut. Process immediately and get some sealer on the endgrain.

Fantastic finish you did on this one!

Scott (that's pretty slick) B

Thanks I didn't know that but this one should OK. Before I began to apply CA, I let the end grain soak up thin CA. It drank a lot of it. Did that till it had its fill and then used my Herrell jig to reflatten the ends of any CA ridges but not back to the wood. I want it totally encased in CA. Then I put my CA on and wet sanded which is what gives the mirror like finish. The wet sanding to MM-12000 and two hits of Meguiar's polishes and she sparkles.

If you don't seal the ends there is a good chance that the end grain will soak up water from the wet sanding and cloud the finish ruining the pen. So it looks like it has a double benefit in this case... keeping the cracky mulberry from cracking. I always end seal snakewood and ebony because they are notorious crackers too. So far I haven't had any end sealed pens crack. (Knock on wood LOL!)
:wink::wink::wink:

Top Bottom