End Grain Cocobolo Streamline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Scottydont

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottydont

I had a friend request that I turn some pens from his own wood. This was the first time I turned a hardwood that was cut end grain. The first one blew up twice but the second one turned out like this. It took me about 10 times longer to turn it on end grained blanks. I think he will like this one the best out of the three that I turned.

218203715_Cocobolo%20End%20Grain%20Carlos%20Medium.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Your pen turned out very nice. I had the same problems when turning end grain. Sharp tools, light cuts, patience, and a dose of good luck. Great job, Scott!

Tom McMillan

Nice pen!!! I've turned a couple pens from some end grain barrel staves of an old oak wine barrel for a guy I used to work with---had to be pretty gentle to get it to not tear out---kinda ended up looking a little leathery (no Anthony---not quite like snake skin).

Carole in VA

Beautiful, Scott! I would be nervous turing someone else's wood. I am experimenting a little with end grain. I want to do it with cedar. The first one blew a chip out right at the tip where the wood was thinnest, but I put a finsh on it anyway to see what it looked like and it was beautiful...lots of chatoyance that just shimmered as you turned the wood in you hand. Going to try another today if I have a chance.

Daniel

The worst situation for me is a custom pen order. someone that wants anything that is not made yet. I get really tense while making it just dreading the inevitable blow out or slip of the gouge. when I am just making anouther pen I don't go through that.
Hope you are still sane after going through it three times back to back. now relax and go make something for yourself. or anyone that is not expecting it. Beautiful pen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom