End-to-end 30-06 Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sylvanite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvanite

Yet another cartridge pen. 30-06 with bullet nib and case-head finial. Brass and bubinga. The photo insert is an end-on view of the finial showing the headstamp and primer.

2007111216403_Split30-06Pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I sincerely hope that is a "dummy" primer! Primers are the most volatile and least stable portion of the reloading equation, and unless rendered inert by a THOROUGH soaking with WD40 or other penetrating oil, can ignite. In your pen, this could cause the primer itself to become a projectile, and while not large enough to cause a serious wound, it is plenty large enough to cause VERY SERIOUS eye damage! I recommend doing something to alleviate this possibility ASAP. BTW, the pen is beautiful--very nicely done.

Sylvanite

Shannon,

Thanks for noticing [:D] and for your concern. I wanted the case head to look unfired, so I started with a new primer but (although not dimpled by a firing pin) it has been spent. There is no longer a styphnate (or whatever else they are using in primers nowadays) pellet, nor anvil in the primer cup. That space is now occupied by a piece of #8 machine screw threaded through the primer hole (as part of making the finial)

I wouldn't trust WD40 (or any other oil) to deactivate a primer. Primers are not nearly as sensitive to contamination as they once were, nor as the manufacturers lead us to believe. There used to be a guy posting on the rec.guns usenet group who (as an experiment) poured a bunch of primers into a jar of WD-40. Every so often, he would take some out, load, and shoot them. Even after years of soaking, he never had one fail to fire. Therefore, I actually ignited the primer (in a safe enclosure) to make sure it is inert.

Sylvanite

Originally posted by cutterwoodjoe
<br />How did you fasten the clip?
This pen is built on the "Perfect Fit" kit (simply and solely because the diameter of the clip and the coupler were the same as a 30-06 case). This kit has a threaded finial. All I had to do was make a replacement finial and screw it on.

The new finial is the head cut from a 30-06 case just where the web (the solid brass part) ends. I drilled and tapped a hole through the primer pocket and threaded in a piece of machine screw (that I cut the head off of). I seated an empty primer cup in the primer pocket and glued the screw in. The threads were close to (but not exactly the same as) the mating piece, so I re-tapped it as well.

I hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom