Emperor's in wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wayneis

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneis

My Son reminded me that I haven't done much in wood lately and told me that he missed seeing my wooden pens. Well that got me thinking so here is my answer to him, two Emperor's one in Boise de Rose and one in Desert Ironwood Burl. The Desert Ironwood Burl I'm told is a few hundred years old. The gold color is outstanding and the lines of black just really set it off. Some of you who have done some trading with me lately may have recieved a piece of this, I'd like to see how yours turned out so please post photos of the finished pen. As always, thanks for looking.

Wayne

2005117165629_DSCN5308DIW.jpg

2005117165731_DSCN5290boisederose2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

Thanks Johnny, my Wife knows several Lawyers and any time she wants to give one a gift she picks out one of my Boise de Rose pens. She and my Son both believe that this wood looks like it belongs in a Law Office.

Wayne

redbulldog

Wayne:
Both of the pens look very nice. However you can color me different as I like the Ironwood better as for me it has a lot more character than the Boise de Rose, just my personal preference.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Wayne,

I am the proud recipient of one of your Ironwood burl blanks. Frankly, I have been afraid to turn it, as like the stars of "Wayne's World" I'm not worthy.

Please forgive the play on your name, believe it or not, it was unintentional.

Fabulous pens, and now I am resolved to use the blank. If I ruin it, I will fall on my skew, perhaps to the relief of many. [:0]

Spelling edit.

PenWorks

Super looking pens Wayne, I didn't think you could improve on your photography, but your photos are even better latley. I pick the Boise de rose, that looks really rich.

wayneis

Positive, I've got curly koa and it doesn't look anything like this. This has a gold color that just shines and glimmers.

Wayne

Originally posted by coach
<br />You sure that is not Curly Koa? I made one in it that looked just like that. Nice job on the pens. I like the Rose also.

wayneis

Anthony,

Thank you, that means a lot especially coming from you. I found a deal on one of those light tents or cubes and bought two daylight floresent lights, the curly buggers. Oh ya, what really seemed to make the biggest difference is using the while cloth under the pen. Its an older Under Armour T-Shirt that my Son out grew, its simiilar to a satin. It seems to help collect the light and it also helps hold the pen where I want it without using anything under it that ends up distracting from the pen. So, a white tent, two light bulbs and and an old rag is my new photo set-up ;-) Oh I also shoot at high res. and then reduce with the software that Microsoft has as an extra, its great I only right click on any photo and choose medium, rename the pic and I'm done.

Wayne

Wayne

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />Super looking pens Wayne, I didn't think you could improve on your photography, but your photos are even better latley. I pick the Boise de rose, that looks really rich.

wayneis

William, ROTFLMAO If I ever fall off the pedistal you put me on I'll break my damn neck, there are a few that would like to give me a shove. Anyway, just remember to wear a mask and sharpen your tools before you start. This is some pretty hard wood, could that be why they call it ironwood. It also has a pretty strong smell that my Wife hates, I have to take my cloths off before I can come back upstairs. This is one of the more incredable woods that I have ever turned, the chatoyancy of the gold is amazing and some of the blanks even have dark black lines. Try it...you'll like it, Wayne did.

Wayne

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Wayne,

I am the proud recipient of one of your Ironwood burl blanks. Frankly, I have been afraid to turn it, as like the stars of "Wayne's World" I'm not worthy.

Please forgive the play on your name, believe it or not, it was unintentional.

Fabulous pens, and now I am resolved to use the blank. If I ruin it, I will fall on my skew, perhaps to the relief of many. [:0]

Spelling edit.

BigRob777

Well, I'm stumped. I know bois de rose as tulipwood, a delbergia, but I don't recognize this wood (I guess it is like many other woods, with multiple names and multiple woods for the same name).
Regarding the koa, I have one piece of koa that looks like it could be 4 different woods. Some is full of black grain and others are pure red/brown. My first guess was koa, also, until I read it. In either case, these pens are spectacular wayne. I also agree about the regal look that the b-d-r has. It reminds me of some really good bloodwood. I like it the best. Do you know it by any other name?
Rob

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Beautiful pens, Wayne.

Rob--Bois de rose is actually French for rose wood (wood of rose). Generally, most dealers use the term to refer to dalbergia maritima, which is what Wayne has displayed. It's one of my favorite woods...very rich and beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom