Emperor in Huanghauli

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Crickett

Crickett

A full size Emperor in Huanghuali. This pen is HUGE with some good weight! Just hope someone will want to buy it ...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• PC050002.JPG
    PC050002.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 722
  • PC050003.JPG
    PC050003.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 725
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AlanHil

Huanghuali, eh? Not familiar though it looks to be just like Tulipwood which is a Dalbergia. But Huanghuali is Chinese for the flowering pear tree that comes from there. How is is to work? Nice pen, though. Very nice.

Crickett

Buzzzz4 said:
Its a beauty. If it was anything like the piece I turned, you took it slow and took lots of breaks. Nicely done!

Thanks! I even wore my purple socks just to be on the safe side and didn't get any catches because if I did I would have cried.

Sent from my iPhone.

Crickett

AlanHil said:
Huanghuali, eh? Not familiar though it looks to be just like Tulipwood which is a Dalbergia. But Huanghuali is Chinese for the flowering pear tree that comes from there. How is is to work? Nice pen, though. Very nice.

Thanks!
To me it turned like a rosewood, it's very dense.

Sent from my iPhone.

mrburls

Very nice Marla, you got one of the good blanks with a nice rich color. Looks alot like the one I did on a Jr. Emperor. It is a very nice wood to work with. You did a FANTASTIC job with this one. I don't see to many people turning this wood anymore. Guess it was too expensive.

Keith "mrburls"

MartinPens

Classy pen Marla! Where did you get the wood? (I'm not even going to attempt to spell it) It does look like Tulipwood, but I like the name of your wood so much better. Hope you sell it and get top dollar for it.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Crickett

Thanks everyone!

MartinPens said:
Classy pen Marla! Where did you get the wood? (I'm not even going to attempt to spell it) It does look like Tulipwood, but I like the name of your wood so much better. Hope you sell it and get top dollar for it.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

I got this piece of wood from "Rarest Wood". It definitely looks like a rosewood but then I believe it is in that family. I'm doing a show this weekend and hope it sells as well!

Sent from my iPhone.

OKLAHOMAN

Excellent job on the "Flowering Pear", most of David Lee's if not all came from unrestoreable Ming and Quint dynasty furniture andHuanghauli from China is thought to be extinct. Telling the story when showing it will sell it at top dollar.

wiset1

Love the look of the pen! I'm sure it will sell fast to someone who knows what it is. Can you PM me where you're getting the kits from. I've found one place and the kits seem crazy expensive. Thanks

Crickett

Love the look of the pen! I'm sure it will sell fast to someone who knows what it is. Can you PM me where you're getting the kits from. I've found one place and the kits seem crazy expensive. Thanks

There was a small hardwood company in Canada that got some of these kits in, I happen to be talking to the lady on the phone about some kits and she mentioned them, we bought what she had.

Let me correct myself, Pete bought what she had, I just use them but I will replace what I use.:rolleyes::wink: Honest.
:biggrin:

Russianwolf

Just to clear it up a bit.

Huali is rosewood.

The Chinese called it "Flowering Pear" for the same reason that we call it "Rose wood". Because it smells sweet as you turn it.

Huang means "Yellow" as this wood tends to age with a yellow patina, whereas others in the family age to deep brown.

HuangHuali is generally thought to be Dalbergia Odorifera I think it is (spelling may be off). But is a Rosewood that patinas to a yellow.

The actuality is that it may or may not be a single species, but possibly several closely related with similar characteristics. Like Purpleheart, which has about 18 different species in the same family that produce purple heart wood. The trees still exist, but are very slow growing and is extinct in terms of commercial production value. I've seen pics of wood from Vietnam, Thailand, and Southern China and all are a little different which leads me to believe its more like Purpleheart.

Great pen by the way.

Last edited:

bitshird

Exqusite pen Marla, I didn't know you could find pieces of Huaghhuali in big enough pieces to turn full size emperors, That is a gorgeous pen, and I would buy it, could I afford it. I've only had one piece and managed a Jr Statesmen, I WAS was scared to death, drilling the cap.
WHAT A GREAT SET TO PUT THAT WOOD ON.!!!!

magpens

Hi Marla ! What a beaut pen .... hope it sells, but not before I see it !!! Mal

Your photos are of superb quality too, just like your pens. I'm in awe !

Last edited:

Crickett

Excellent job on the "Flowering Pear", most of David Lee's if not all came from unrestoreable Ming and Quint dynasty furniture andHuanghauli from China is thought to be extinct. Telling the story when showing it will sell it at top dollar.

Just to clear it up a bit.

Huali is rosewood.

The Chinese called it "Flowering Pear" for the same reason that we call it "Rose wood". Because it smells sweet as you turn it.

Huang means "Yellow" as this wood tends to age with a yellow patina, whereas others in the family age to deep brown.

HuangHuali is generally thought to be Dalbergia Odorifera I think it is (spelling may be off). But is a Rosewood that patinas to a yellow.

The actuality is that it may or may not be a single species, but possibly several closely related with similar characteristics. Like Purpleheart, which has about 18 different species in the same family that produce purple heart wood. The trees still exist, but are very slow growing and is extinct in terms of commercial production value. I've seen pics of wood from Vietnam, Thailand, and Southern China and all are a little different which leads me to believe its more like Purpleheart.

Great pen by the way.

Thanks for the information on the wood, that will help me answer the questions I'll hopefully get asked at my show this weekend.

Crickett

Exqusite pen Marla, I didn't know you could find pieces of Huaghhuali in big enough pieces to turn full size emperors, That is a gorgeous pen, and I would buy it, could I afford it. I've only had one piece and managed a Jr Statesmen, I WAS was scared to death, drilling the cap.
WHAT A GREAT SET TO PUT THAT WOOD ON.!!!!

I already have enough gray hair I'm covering with dye so I gave it to Pete to drill on his metal lathe. The blank wasn't quite square but he dealt with it.

YORKGUM

Such a beautiful wood. Dave Lee turned one for me after we went in on an auction together. So rare and beautiful. Nice job on the photos.

Top Bottom