Emperor of the Emerald Isles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

This is my Christmas present to me, the Irish Bog Oak came from Mike Shue aka Russianwolf, and the kit was a gift from a friend, the wood is a thrill to work with, there is almost something spiritual in working it. The Jr. Emperor will now be my very own " going someplace special pen" (like I ever go someplace special! Piggly Wiggly is upscale shopping for us) :monkey: The finish, took nearly 6 days to complete, it was BLO 4 coats, each burnished with a brown paper bag, then wait three days burnish until the blank was dry, and polished, then 3 coats of deft Lacquer, oven dried for 24 hrs, then wet sanded with 800 then 1000 then left alone, I like it, it looks natural, and has a special feel that just isn't there with a CA finish.
:present::present::present:
Jr-Emp---Bog-Oak-2.jpg

Jr-Emp---Bog-Oak-3.jpg

Well whadaya think???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, Ken,

I think ya dun it proud!!!

I'm with you on Bog oak. A CA finish takes away some of the character. While my finishing technique does not involve "cooking" it, I am intriqued that YOURS does.

Why? (You are welcome to tell me to jump in a lake, if you wish - there is one, nearby -- slightly frozen at the moment, tho)

Just wondering if I can learn something!!!

GREAT job and MOST impressive when the "Pig" girl watches you write your check!!! (and she thanks the lord she will not be compelled to try to make change, since checks are usually for the correct amount!)

Texatdurango

Ken, That's a nice looking "satin" finish. Good job!

Was the idea behind the oven drying to speed up the evaporation process of the finish or for some other reason?

I love lacquer finishes but not the wait time for the curing. I just put a little oven in my shop for heating alumilite molds. I never thought of heating blanks after finishing.

bitshird

Ken, That's a nice looking "satin" finish. Good job!

Was the idea behind the oven drying to speed up the evaporation process of the finish or for some other reason?

I love lacquer finishes but not the wait time for the curing. I just put a little oven in my shop for heating alumilite molds. I never thought of heating blanks after finishing.

George, I thought alumilite had a about a 45 minute set up time?? ,
Yes I used the oven to cure the lacquer, also the last day on the BLO. I created quite a bit of friction burnishing the BLO, but kept in my toaster over night at 150 , burnished it again with a piece off wool felt, then sprayed the Lacquer, I waited about a hour between coats let it air dry for a day or so then put it in the oven, It's hard, and I could rub it out for a decent gloss, but cleaning out the grain would be a hassle. I do think I'll renwax it just to keep my nasty paw prints off of it. Hope I don't go all Pagan and start takin me clothes off at the dinner table.:beer::beer::beer::clown::alien:

jttheclockman

Ken

Perfect match of kit and blank. That is one classy pen. I hope you don't become the guy in the utube video link that was posted. Then again I might if I had a pen that looked that good.

bitshird

Well, Ken,

I think ya dun it proud!!!

I'm with you on Bog oak. A CA finish takes away some of the character. While my finishing technique does not involve "cooking" it, I am intriqued that YOURS does.

Why? (You are welcome to tell me to jump in a lake, if you wish - there is one, nearby -- slightly frozen at the moment, tho)

Just wondering if I can learn something!!!

GREAT job and MOST impressive when the "Pig" girl watches you write your check!!! (and she thanks the lord she will not be compelled to try to make change, since checks are usually for the correct amount!)

I did it to speed things up a bit, I wanted that BLO, DRY before I sprayed the Lacquer, same with the Lacquer, the heat shrank it down and dried it and you're right about the way these kids can't count money, my Sainted Wife, is a Manager at a semi fast food restaurant.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Damn fine work, Ken. I am working on a couple of Bog Oak pens and if they turn out half as nice as those, I'll be happy. BTW, I am VERY disappointed that you missed the chance to tell Ed to jump in the lake!

akbar24601

Ken, that is superb! I'll bet you were both surprised and overwhelmed when you gave of to yourself! A fine gift indeed. As far as I'm concerned, Piggly Wiggly is a pretty special place to go.

talbot

Beautiful looking pen and quality work Ken.
Was the special finish something new that you were trying or because of the charectaristics of the wood?
regards, Bill

bitshird

Beautiful looking pen and quality work Ken.
Was the special finish something new that you were trying or because of the charectaristics of the wood?
regards, Bill

Bill I wanted a finish that would seal and preserve the wood, but still leave the tactile feel of the open grain, like me, I think Old stuff should wear it's age with grace and pride, and not cover it with palsticky finishes,or surgery LOL

Top Bottom