Emperor Ballpoint Pen from Woodcraft

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan Masshardt

Dan Masshardt

First one of these. Nice kit. Very expensive. Did a brief video review to accompany. https://youtu.be/4hkQ7EKkDPY

3ea387cc66ad04ef16f5c798b1c7881a.jpg
3952737c1e0d7a1262861f1897441540.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Nice photo Dan and as always nice video. Not a fan of the kit at all but that is just me. Has no character or shape that is desirable. As for price it is quite pricey as you say and to me does not warrant it. Some of these companies are just exploiting us pen turners in my view. I would love to know what the actual cost of making some of these kits are. I know Dave from Timberbits had some kits just made for him and did massive research from different companies and he is one person that could probably shed alot of light on that topic. I would love for him to see this and maybe comment but do not think he visits much any more. I am sure there are other vendors that have had dealings with kits being made but may not reveal secrets for it gives away their price points. Just something that gets thought about as I see all these new kits come to market. But bottom line is your selling the pen so make any necessary adjustments and create your own price points. :):)

Dan Masshardt

I hear you JT... a lot of it is curiosity about these kits. And wanting to provide more info to others so they could have a better idea whether they want to try one or not. I don't fully understand the high price point either...the kits they resell from Berea are more reasonable mostly.

OZturner

Thank you Dan for your Post and Video,
I am a bit ambivalent, with the pen, I don't dislike it, and I don't Love it.
In particular with that price point.
I enjoyed your Presentation, and your Pen Making Craftsmanship.
Many thanks,
Brian.

magpens

Price of the pen kit is too high ... but did you see the price of the bushings ?:cool::mad:

oldtoolsniper

I appreciate the time and effort you put into explaining that pen.

Compared to the Sierras, is the barrel material after turning the same thickness? Looking for a thicker finished product to embed and item into for casting.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Dan Masshardt

oldtoolsniper

I appreciate the time and effort you put into explaining that pen.

Compared to the Sierras, is the barrel material after turning the same thickness? Looking for a thicker finished product to embed and item into for casting.

Thanks again!

I'll take a look later if I can.

Thanks.
I'm turnings some Mesa pens right now and they are to thin for what I have in mind. I know I can leave the blanks larger but I don't care for the "sausage" look.

qquake

Thanks.
I'm turnings some Mesa pens right now and they are to thin for what I have in mind. I know I can leave the blanks larger but I don't care for the "sausage" look.

According to the Emperor instructions, one bushing is 0.453" and the other is 0.482". With an 11/32" hole in the blank, that will leave wall thicknesses of 0.55" and 0.69". Have you looked at the Gatsby Grande from PSI? The bushings are 0.525". With a 3/8" hole, that leaves wall thicknesses of 0.75" at both ends. I've made several of the Grandes and like the thicker barrels.

https://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SEARCH&q=gatsby+grande

Attachments

• 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 061.JPG
    061.JPG
    200 KB · Views: 177
  • 054.JPG
    054.JPG
    315.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

oldtoolsniper

Thanks.

According to the Emperor instructions, one bushing is 0.453" and the other is 0.482". With an 11/32" hole in the blank, that will leave wall thicknesses of 0.55" and 0.69". Have you looked at the Gatsby Grande from PSI? The bushings are 0.525". With a 3/8" hole, that leaves wall thicknesses of 0.75" at both ends. I've made several of the Grandes and like the thicker barrels.

Thanks for that information! I just placed an order for five to see if I can make them work!

thewishman

Thanks.

.525" is the outside diameter of the bushing, subtract the .345" (the tube diameter leaves .18" divide that by 2 = .09" of material on the tube of the Gatsby Grande.

Last edited:

qquake

Actually, you subtract the diameter of the hole, not the tube, to get the wall thickness of the body. But I did make a mistake with the number on the Gatsby Grande. It should be .075".

Top Bottom