Emperor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from fernhills

fernhills

This is my fifth large pen, came to the conclusion that they are easier to make then lower end pens, the only thing is, they cost 10 times as much...This is a Emperor from CSUSA in Honduras Rosewood Burl, top of the line hardware.

Attachments

• Hpim1067.jpg
    Hpim1067.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 247
  • Hpim1068.jpg
    Hpim1068.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 271
  • Hpim1070.jpg
    Hpim1070.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

Carl,

Beautiful job! That pen certainly shows why so many of us love wooden pen blanks. I just can't understand why the buying public has such a preference for acrylics:confused:

Stunning pen. Thanks for sharing.

Jim Smith

OKLAHOMAN

Carl,very classy looking. Remember it cost 10 X's as much but you can sell it for at least 10 X's as much money.
This is my fifth large pen, came to the conclusion that they are easier to make then lower end pens, the only thing is, they cost 10 times as much...This is a Emperor from CSUSA in Honduras Rosewood Burl, top of the line hardware.

Mazzywv

very beautiful. I plan to purchase some emperor kits myself and this just firms up my decision, hope i can do as good a job with them.

jkeithrussell

I just can't understand why the buying public has such a preference for acrylics:confused:

I'm no expert, but I would guess that this is because acrylics look more like what they are used to seeing (in stores, catalogs, etc.). Until about a year ago, I had never seen a high quality wooden pen, and I've been doing various kinds of woodworking for a long time. Most people hear "wood pen" and their mind sees a goofy cedar stick in a gift shop at a hotel. Again, this is just a guess. To show off, I handed a very nice pen made of amboyna burl on a navigator kit to a friend the other day and he asked me if it was made out of walnut. I could have said that it was made from a squirrel's nuts and it would have meant the same to him as amboyna burl. The public simply does not share our knowledge or understanding of the wood. But everyone knows what plastic looks like.

fernhills

Unquestionably beautiful.
Do you have a market for them?
How much do you sell them for?

Thanks everyone for all the great comments. I have made 5 large pens since Oct-2008, ( I sold 3 )
3 Gentlemans 1 Majestic and 1 Emperor. I got $95 and $129 for the Gentleman`s and $149 for the Majestic. All were sold on Etsy. All within the last 2 months. Thanks again. Carl

stoneman

Carl,
That one's a beaut! I too have turned my first couple large pens recently (a Statesman and a Gentlemen's) and am getting addicted to the larger size. Is the Majestic really notably larger than the Gentlemen's pen? I see Pen State has a deal on the bushings and bits if you try the Majestic. I've been thinking about one. Any comment/advice?

Last edited:

fernhills

Carl,
That one's a beaut! I too have turned my first couple large pens recently (a Statesman and a Gentlemen's) and am getting addicted to the larger size. Is the Majestic really notably larger than the Gentlemen's pen? I see Pen State has a deal on the bushings and bits if you try the Majestic. I've been thinking about one. Any comment/advice?

The upper barrel of the Maj. is the same drill bit size as the Gent. i don`t know off hand what the diff. is in the lower barrel. Its a peice of cake to turn, easy, But the risk of turning is high b/c of the high cost of product and kit so you want to be careful. They are beautiful when completed. I think the Maj. looks great with natural wood, i am not sure how a Acrylic would look with the bling of the hardware.

Top Bottom