Emerald Swirl custom FP-- first try with cap rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from AWLogue

AWLogue

Hi all,

I'm here tonight (this morning?) to show off my most recent creation: A custom FP in a beautiful swirling green acrylic with cap and body accent rings. This was my first attempt at making a pen with cap and/or body rings, and I think it turned out (haha) marvelously.

Let me know what you think!

IMG_20170130_004446_zpso8saryb6.jpg

IMG_20170130_005414_zpsdeatt4sk.jpg

-Aaron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

You've done well! If you're open to some constructive critique I do see some areas that need some attention.

Thank you! I'm always open to constructive criticism

Sure thing. First off...congrats again on the build! Bands are not the easiest thing. The cap bands look perfect. The lower body band looks to be a touch proud of the body. It could be the lighting, but it does look that way. One thing I found when turning with metal bands is to get it turning almost to completion and walk away for a while to let everything cool off. The acrylic and the metal. Then come back and take that final cut and sand. Since things swell and shrink with heat/cool and the materials each act differently I've found that to be a helpful trick.

The other noticeable part is the cap finial. You can see where it wasn't quite cut smooth on the very top. It also looks just a touch off center. An easy way to take care of the top of the finial is to make a mandrel that you can screw the finial in to. Turn the top part separately from the cap and then reattach for final sanding. If it is indeed offcenter a touch it could be from a variety of things. It used to be a big problem for me until I changed my method and working order. While constructing the cap I make sure to cut the relief for the clip ring before threading for the finial. I don't know why it happens, but I found that to be key. Another area that can cause that is the notch for the clip arm not being deep enough. It can cause the final to cant when threaded all the way down.

Keep it up!

Last edited:

AWLogue

You've done well! If you're open to some constructive critique I do see some areas that need some attention.

Thank you! I'm always open to constructive criticism

Sure thing. First off...congrats again on the build! Bands are not the easiest thing. The cap bands look perfect. The lower body band looks to be a touch proud of the body. It could be the lighting, but it does look that way. One thing I found when turning with metal bands is to get it turning almost to completion and walk away for a while to let everything cool off. The acrylic and the metal. Then come back and take that final cut and sand. Since things swell and shrink with heat/cool and the materials each act differently I've found that to be a helpful trick.

The other noticeable part is the cap finial. You can see where it wasn't quite cut smooth on the very top. It also looks just a touch off center. An easy way to take care of the top of the finial is to make a mandrel that you can screw the finial in to. Turn the top part separately from the cap and then reattach for final sanding. If it is indeed offcenter a touch it could be from a variety of things. It used to be a big problem for me until I changed my method and working order. While constructing the cap I make sure to cut the relief for the clip ring before threading for the finial. I don't know why it happens, but I found that to be key. Another area that can cause that is the notch for the clip arm not being deep enough. It can cause the final to cant when threaded all the way down.

Keep it up!

Thanks for the feedback!

To the first: I took calipers to the body ring and the acrylic on either end. They're the same within the tolerances of my calipers (0.01mm), so I'm guessing it's a trick of the light.

The finial appears to have a dimple in it primarily because of a change in pattern, it would seem. I may turn another just to get rid of this effect. Thanks for the construction tips! I have made mandrels from some aluminum rod that hold threads for all the parts I turn, male and female. They are extremely useful.

Off centerness- I see that now. I think the clip arm recess is a good depth, but the circular recess isn't quite enough.

Last edited:

BobGast

Excellent work. I am new to pen making and still have to use a kit. Also, I have never turned anything in my life until just last November. I am 65 years old. I don't know anything about machining other than the lapidary work that I do, but it looks like I might be learning because I want to be able to make pens as beautiful as you have done.

AWLogue

Excellent work. I am new to pen making and still have to use a kit. Also, I have never turned anything in my life until just last November. I am 65 years old. I don't know anything about machining other than the lapidary work that I do, but it looks like I might be learning because I want to be able to make pens as beautiful as you have done.

Thank you!

I'm nearly 21, and have been turning for just over a year now. The only machines I have are a 10" delta homecraft bandsaw and a Rikon 70-100 wood lathe, so you don't need to do any real "machining." However, a metal lathe would make this a great deal easier.

Rink

Aaron: beautiful...simply beautiful. I would be very proud of that. I hope to try kitless eventually. Oh, also...Engineering is cool, good luck at school.

Jonathon: Thanks for setting a great example of how to offer feedback and constructive criticism. I really appreciate that. Oh, and your blanks are awesome, by the way.

AWLogue

Is that a hidden clip or a clip cap? Too good to tell the difference.

It's a hidden clip. Here's an explosion to give you a better idea of the construction.

IMG_20170131_221834_zps5ux2vqcc.jpg

Aaron: beautiful...simply beautiful. I would be very proud of that. I hope to try kitless eventually. Oh, also...Engineering is cool, good luck at school.

Jonathon: Thanks for setting a great example of how to offer feedback and constructive criticism. I really appreciate that. Oh, and your blanks are awesome, by the way.

Thanks! I only have one semester left after I finish this one. The end is in sight

Top Bottom