Emerald and Amboyna

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from drgoretex

drgoretex

Thought I would try something new today to help fund my parts purchases. Here is the product of today's efforts. This pen is done up in emerald swirl acrylic in fairly classic lines, with amboyna burl 'jewels' inset into the cap and barrel ends. The burl jewels are slightly convex, coated with 10 coats of CA, and polished highly. The nib is a JoWo nib from Meisternibs.

My own criticism of this is that I think the cap jewel should be inset a touch further....

IMG_6345.jpg

IMG_6348.jpg

IMG_6365.jpg

IMG_6351.jpg

IMG_6347.jpg

Well, thanks for having a look. Feel free to comment and/or critique.

Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LeeR

Absolutely beautiful pen, with very nice lines. Would love to try this someday as my turning skills improve. Now, that being said ... :)

The pen is fairly modern with the acrylic blank, and for some reason, I think the wood accents just do not complement the pen. I'd go with black acrylic to match the black swirls in the green, or maybe gold or silver to match the nib.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi Ken; Looks like Green is your favourite colour! As far as the Amboyna burl, I think it is inset perfectly! I liked your Manitoba Maple burl and Emerald Green Triton better. I may have to copy.

I'd like to know more about the JOWO nib. I'll do a search. Thanks for showing.

Jim Burr

Banned
Sweet work Ken!! IMHO, ebony would make a cool jewel...amboyna isn't doin' it for me. The rest of it?...golden!!!

Lenny

I agree with Mack about the insert ... it seems perfect the way it is!
Not crazy about the Green ... but the pen is outstanding! As is the photography!

Brooks803

I think I'd like it alot better if the acrylic didn't have the black lines in it. I like the color combo alot! I too think the cap jewel could have sat a little lower like the body jewel but it looks great no matter what. Great job Ken!

ZanderPommo

I personally think its a stunning, and eye catching pen. I usually dislike wood/acrylic combos unless its WW, but you absolutely NAILED the combonation in my opinion. I would love to have my hands on a pen like that someday. :)

Curly

Just the opposite.

You said. "My own criticism of this is that I think the cap jewel should be inset a touch further...."

Looking at the pictures and not the pen itself, I prefer the prouder "jewel" rather than the inset one.

As I said in another forum. "I like it too!" :)

Woodlvr

Very nice. I hope to get an idea from learning from Y'ALL, the talent in our forum is awesome, OR why else would companies be stealing your great ideas and duplicating them for their profit.

drgoretex

Thannks for all the comments!

Hi Ken; Looks like Green is your favourite colour! As far as the Amboyna burl, I think it is inset perfectly! I liked your Manitoba Maple burl and Emerald Green Triton better. I may have to copy.

I'd like to know more about the JOWO nib. I'll do a search. Thanks for showing.

Yep. Love green. Love wood with green.

JoWo is one of the two biggest name German nib companies, Bock being the other. Both are great nibs. My preference is for JoWo - like the feeds better.

Ken

wizard

Ken,
I think the pen is gorgeous!! I think the inset is just fine as is..if anything I feel it would be nice if the insets were a little more "outset"..to show the beauty of the wood and the phenomenal finish on the two pieces. Great work!!...I too like the green with the wood accents... Doc:)

Robert111

Ken,
I think the pen is gorgeous!! I think the inset is just fine as is..if anything I feel it would be nice if the insets were a little more "outset"..to show the beauty of the wood and the phenomenal finish on the two pieces. Great work!!...I too like the green with the wood accents... Doc:)

I agree with Doc and others on having the inset proud of the cap (but not much--large radius), and then a little different treatment for the bottom inset-- maybe a slightly concave with a large radius.

And on the subject of color, I like the amboyna and would definitely like ebony on the pen you're showing.

Top Bottom