Embedded Object cast entry(almost)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

I see gold leaf blanks all the time and had the bright idea that I would cast some dried leaves from the yard for the embedded object contest. I think the idea is worth pursuing again but this one does not stand a chance in that competition. I was thinking nice fall colors so I reverse painted an orangish color. I figured it was worth putting out there for comments and critiques anyway.
leafcast002_800x532.jpg

leafcast001_800x532.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

Thanks for the comments. Maybe I am I the right idea path. It is deffinately a little different from what I have seen around. It does give me another idea for fall.

Phil

ctubbs

Great idea and execution! There are many groups which should have an interest in that pen. Good work. Keep it up.
Charles

SDB777

Would the leaves that still have some color in them also contain moisture that wouldn't react well with the 'pour'? I'm asking cause I don't know much about moisture levels and casting....plenty about leaves though.

Interesting concept, and I got a tree in the yard that doesn't stop dropping dead leaves.

Scott

firewhatfire

no color or moiture left in the the leaves. Actually I think i choice the mot brittle leaves I could find. Lesson learned for the next round.

Phil

Would the leaves that still have some color in them also contain moisture that wouldn't react well with the 'pour'? I'm asking cause I don't know much about moisture levels and casting....plenty about leaves though.

Interesting concept, and I got a tree in the yard that doesn't stop dropping dead leaves.

Scott

TreeBits

Leaves

Results were not bad at all. You might try more substantial leaves. I don't know what you used but oak leaves are pretty thick and substantial. I think that if the leaves have moisture left in them that would be a problem for casting. I think the color will fade to brown if you use leaves that still have color in them, color = moisture.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have taken maple leaves from Vermont that had a lot of color, then dried them well, wrapped the tube like a snake skin, and cast. The heat from casting caused them to go mostly brown and it did not look good.

Top Bottom