Elvis Lives

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from reddwil

reddwil

My Admin Asst. Is retiring next week. She is an Elvis fanatic, Skinny Elvis Not Fat Elvis, as she has reminded me over the past 20 years. The Wall St. II is box elder and The Jr. Gent is antler. Both with decals and ca finish.

Attachments

• IMG_1962.jpg
    IMG_1962.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 450
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
those turned out great. I would really like to know the decal process. I have had a lot of ideas lately. is there a thread somewhere that explains it?(edit)...sorry, I should ask WHICH is the best thread to view. there is close to 80 threads w/keyword decal. I have time, but not that much.

Last edited:

gmcnut

"Ladies and Gentlemen the Elvis pens have left the building" :biggrin:

Seriously, nice work. I am sure she'll enjoy them.

stoneman

those turned out great. I would really like to know the decal process. I have had a lot of ideas lately. is there a thread somewhere that explains it?(edit)...sorry, I should ask WHICH is the best thread to view. there is close to 80 threads w/keyword decal. I have time, but not that much.

Paul,
I've only been at it for a very short while. The info I used to get started was this thread http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43032, which also contained this tutorial link http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/Kerux/blog/3811.

Also, I'm not sure where I picked this up (except it was from someone else on IAP), but a good way to print decals on the odd size decal paper (5.5" x 8.5") is to:
1 - Print the image you will use on regular 8-1/2 x 11 paper to get the size right
2 - Cut a small piece of decal paper (about 1" x 1" or whatever size is a little larger than the image)
3 - Tape the decal paper directly over the printed image on the regular paper (I use scotch tape, two pieces, one over the top 1/16" of the decal paper and one over the bottom 1/16" of the decal paper)
4 - Re-insert the paper into the printer and reprint (this time it will print on the decal)
5 - Let the ink dry and spray with bonder per Testors instructions

This works well to avoid using lots of decal paper. I figure if you use squares of about 1" x 1", then each sheet will yield about 40 decals and each pack of six sheet will provide about 240 decals. At about $13.50 for six sheets of decal and a can of bonder, that makes each decal cost only about six cents.

Lastly (again remember I am a novice) it seems that the decal goes on smoother by using Grizz's tutorial but also by slightly dampening the area where the decal will go just before sliding it onto the pen barrel. This seems to allow you to reposition the decal easier after sliding it onto the pen and also seems to aid in smoothing out air bubbles.

Hope this helps.

reddwil

Paul
What I do also is I usually print a couple of each decal, your bound to mess one up trying to put it on. I use Microsoft word to print my decals. I set the paper size manually to the size of the decal paper. If you only want to print a couple, you can place them on the screen in a manor to, print, cut off, and reuse the paper the next time. Hope thats not confusing

Top Bottom