elk antler and pentel pencils

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

Here is a picture of two elk antler pens and two pencils made from off the shelf pentel pencils. Remove the mechanism, prepare a wood tube to replace the plastic and reassemble. CSUSA makes a step drill for this but it sells for $30. I've written an article explaining how to make this pencil without using the step drill. The article is on the front page in the articles section.

200411173299_elk%20and%20Pentel%20pencils.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Very nice Don, I finished two elk Havana's tonight and they look almost white. Yours have allot more grain and color to them. I wonder since yours are thinner, the more you cut away from the antler, you get into different material. Anthony

its_virgil

Thanks for looking Anthony. I started with rather large pieces and got into the bone marrow and that is where the dark colors come from. Very porous and must be filled with CA. But the result is quite nice. The customer wanted this look. Some like this look and others like the whiter all bone look.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by penworks
<br />Very nice Don, I finished two elk Havana's tonight and they look almost white. Yours have allot more grain and color to them. I wonder since yours are thinner, the more you cut away from the antler, you get into different material. Anthony

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Don, where do you get your elk antler for pens... I have deer, but have not been able to find elk... those are great looking pens... would love to make some Perfect Fit Convertables in elk... the color looks great...

Efletche

Tom, I've purchased from this site. http://www.northcountrytaxidermy.com/shedantlers.html

its_virgil

tom,
I get most of my antler from friends who hutt, but when I need antler I get it from the following sourece. He is fair and knows what we need for pens. HJe carries all types of antlere. If you haven't turned any, yoiu should try some axis deer antler. It has very little bone marrow and is almost solid enamel.

Paul Rector--Antler Dealer
All kinds of antler including AXIS DEER antler. Contact: Paul Rector; P.O. Box 714: Chama NM 87520; Phone (505) 756-2682

do a good turn daily!
don

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />Don, where do you get your elk antler for pens... I have deer, but have not been able to find elk... those are great looking pens... would love to make some Perfect Fit Convertables in elk... the color looks great...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom