Elegant / Sierra Pheasant

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
My wife spotted the new pheasant feather blanks that I bought from JohnU recently and said she wanted one. Small snag, neither of us like the Sierra that these are designed for. So I double tubed it. I turned the EB tube with some of those off cuts that we all have:rolleyes: down to fit inside the Sierra blank. I wouldn't have tried this, but John had really made a very neat job of mounting the feathers to the tube and I figured it would work without them getting exposed. Of course the cast blank was trimmed down to the EB length as well. Missus likes it, therefore so do I:biggrin:
Thanks John. And if you make any more with any brighter coloured feathers, then make some extras:wink:

Attachments

• doubletubing.jpg
    doubletubing.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 263
  • EBpheasant.jpg
    EBpheasant.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 359
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Not sure why you'd think that Ed:confused: The inside and outside diameters are standard for the EB. The only extra weight would be the differance between the the weight of the Sierra tube against the material it replaced. :wink:
I have no idea how much that would be, but surely not noticable.

workinforwood

You make it look and sound so simple Steve. It looks awesome. I couldn't resist buying some of those too, and now they sit in the drawer since I also don't have and don't like the kit they are for.

JohnU

Beautiful job on the pen Skiprat. Where is this kit from, when I checked at beartoothwoods and bought the tubes, it said they were for sierra, vista, and elegant kits, but I see he only has chrome and satin in stock. Im guessing its a different manufacturer? I would be interested in getting those tubes since I love the look of your pen. Any help appreciated.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
John, you touched on one of my pet hates. Different suppliers re-naming the same kits or using the same name on different kits. As you can see there is a considerable differance in tube size. I bought these kits from LauLau Woods.
Lots of different flavours. Somehow the post from Hawaii gets here within a couple of days too, which is great:biggrin:

JohnU

John, you touched on one of my pet hates. Different suppliers re-naming the same kits or using the same name on different kits. As you can see there is a considerable differance in tube size. I bought these kits from LauLau Woods.
Lots of different flavours. Somehow the post from Hawaii gets here within a couple of days too, which is great:biggrin:

Thanks for the help. Ill have to check into some tubes at LauLau Woods, since I like the gold kit you used over the chrome I have, for these blanks. Thanks Again!

Russianwolf

Hey John,

the Elegant Beauty (what Skippy used) is completely different from the "Elegant Sierra".

The tube size is smaller as Skippy showed, both in diameter and length. The twist action is also different. The Elegant Beauty twist is the finial only (above the clip), while the Sierra version is the entire tube/finial. Also there is more material left on the elegant beauty, so you won't have to worry about the feathers showing up.

CSUSA has them as well as Aaron (which I recommend for his click and stretch pens too)

JohnU

Hey John,

the Elegant Beauty (what Skippy used) is completely different from the "Elegant Sierra".

The tube size is smaller as Skippy showed, both in diameter and length. The twist action is also different. The Elegant Beauty twist is the finial only (above the clip), while the Sierra version is the entire tube/finial. Also there is more material left on the elegant beauty, so you won't have to worry about the feathers showing up.

CSUSA has them as well as Aaron (which I recommend for his click and stretch pens too)

Is this the same as the Aero ? Thanks, I appreciate all the help.

Last edited:

PenPal

Hi Steve

You trendsetter you, simply overstated to become a classic again as you have and continue to do.A rose by any other name who cares what people name the kits continue to weave your magic.
I do confess it is difficult to separate kits at a distance from one manufacturer to another, so I will continue in my way to derive great pleasure within the Slimline and derivations that allow me to play and experiment to my hearts content within my aged budget.
My knowledge tells me so many come from the same sources up the road in China proper and Taiwan.
Your knowledge and skills with stainless set you and a few others as masters in this metal, I have friend who using a metal lathe turns captive squares , balls etc in stainless entirely from the one block seemingly magic to me.
Please be assured of my admiration for your skill and humility combined with that devilish sense of humour I so enjoy and understand as one having family roots in similar places. All my family came to this great country in the first half of the 1800 s.

Enjoy and design more and more.
Regards Peter.

Top Bottom