Elegant Sierra cactus cast in Amber resin w/mesquite box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
This is a special order cactus pen and my first order from my website. It is a gift that was ordered by a lady in England to be sent to her friend in California. It took me a little longer to make than I wanted to I decided to make a mesquite with black walnut box to go with it at no additional cost. The box was inspired by a post here recently with a link to a fellow in the Netherlands that make similar pen boxes.

I REALLY like the Elegant Sierra kit! This is the first one I have made and it really adds a nice elegant touch to my favorite kit. I will certainly be making a lot more of these! Oh yeah, the cactus was cast in amber resin with a black background. As always, comments good or bad appreciated.

Cactus%20Elegant%20Sierra%20w%20box.jpg

Black%20cactus%20elegant%20sierra2.jpg

Black%20cactus%20elegant%20sierra1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrburls

Hi Curtis, Great looking pen. You have a real knack with those pen boxes you make. Hope you plan on making more of those cactus blanks in amber which you might sell some to me :rolleyes:. After doing the amber blank I got from you a few people asked me if I could make them one. Keep me in mind if you do.
Keith "mrburls"

VisExp

That's a great combination Curtis, your customer should be very pleased. Very nice work!

I was curious if you used any mechanical joint to attach the walnut ends of the box to the mesquite main body or are they just glued on? Also did you have to bevel the back edge of the lid so that it would have clearance to rotate on the hinge pin? Thanks.

talbot

Thats a pen thats sure to attract attention every time its used.
Beautiful work and a very nice case as well.
regards, Bill

jscola

Great job Curtis! I wan't to thank you for the great TEXAS hospitality I recieved 2-years ago when I stopped at your shop while visiting wife's family in Texas. I plan on coming back to Texas & maybe I can bring you some wood from Michigan. Joe S.

Freethinker

Fantastic pen, Curtis. Beautiful.

Is the coloring of the tubes black the only thing that gives this pen the look of being black instead of amber? I can't seem to grasp how just the tubes being black --if that's what it is-- overcomes the amber color of the acrylic it was cast in.....unless the amber is very translucent.

Anyway, great pen.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
The box can be a little tricky. If you place the hinge pin in the wrong place, when the lid opens, it pushes against the pen. I made a number of prototypes before I got it right! I plan to try to draw up some plans in cad that I can share.

Top Bottom