Elegant Beauty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rcflyer23

rcflyer23

Had some time in the shop. Comments always welcome.....

Attachments

• IMG_1799_785x800.jpg
    IMG_1799_785x800.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1801_658x800.jpg
    IMG_1801_658x800.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1802_600x800.jpg
    IMG_1802_600x800.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 174
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Sweet looking pen, is that the Dayacom Elegant Beauty or the Elegant Sierra? I've not seen the Elegant Beauty in that plating before.

rcflyer23

Sweet looking pen, is that the Dayacom Elegant Beauty or the Elegant Sierra? I've not seen the Elegant Beauty in that plating before.

That's a good question. What does Woodcraft cary? That's where I got them. Yeah I really like the matte barrel and the shiny nib. I am very pleased with the way it turned out. The blank is from Craft Supplies USA it's called Caribbean Swirl. I used a white tube from WC as well. I had done one with out just to see and it looks neat but bugged the heck out of me that I knew it was the tube, my wife thought it made it look more more like the ocean because it gave it a green hue, but I couldn't bring myself to kit it.

I really like the kit. It's probably one of my favorites right now.

BruceA

Nice!

That's a Berea Elegant Beauty kit with the Two-Tone Chrome with brushed grip/nib.

Here's the link: http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=149574&FamilyID=5435

They're on sale now for $ 7.19, which is a good price.

I just happened to do a dissertation on the Sierra kits tonight!: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45104

This is a very attractive kit that goes well with most blanks. You have done a nice job on this one - you're definitely in front of the style parade!

Bruce in TN.

Last edited:

rcflyer23

Bruce, great write up on the other thread. I couldn't remember if WC carried just Berea or another brand as well so I didn't want to comment. :) I will have to swing by WC this weekend and pick up a few more on sell. I appreciate the comment as well.

Misterturner

VERY nice! I think this is one of my favorite kits. As you discovered, it makes everything look very ELEGANT.

Unfortunately, I've had problems with some of these kits from Berea and ALL that I ordered from Woodcraft (which doesn't make much sense to me) and would be curious to hear whether you or anyone else has been seeing the same thing. The replacement parts that I received from Berea were not much better than the parts that I reported. Woodcraft decided to just refund my money on the last 10 that I ordered as they said the one's they have in stock are likely to have the same problem.

The shiny chrome parts of the nib and finial are fine, but the matted chrome finish appears to have areas where the underlying metal shows through - it looks sort of brownish-gold. (This is sort of like the problem with the brass tubes that you described - YOU made the pen and so YOU see it, whereas someone else might see it as a more realistic underwater look if they don't know about HOW the pen is made.) You may not have noticed THIS problem, but once you do, it becomes readily apparent how badly these are plated (OR, I am just seeing things!!)

I first noticed this problem with the matte finish on a particulary bad example of this kit - it looked like the pen had been dipped and some parts got less plating than others, but now I can see it on many or most of these kits. (It is much less of a problem on the OTHER kit that has the shiny and matte finishes reversed, but I don't prefer that one.)

Even on the very best examples from either Woodcraft or Berea, you may see what I mean if you put the tip of the pen on your finger and rotate the pen around while looking at the matte finish of the nib - you may notice vertical lines that extend from the decorative band right down to the shiny chrome at the nib - some pens have a handful of these lines, others have just one or two. If you are unlucky enough to see this, you will then see more of this same problem on the finial and other places on the nib (without trying). Sometimes, its lines, other times its more iregular shapes where the finish is not silver/grey, but instead goldish-brown.

I hate having to open and look through many bags to decide which is the least bad kit to use!

:frown: Jason

jttheclockman

I just bought a bunch of these from Bill at AZ and all were fine. I checked them after reading the report on Berea kits being bad.

Question does Woodcraft offer quantity discounts or are they all just one price???

rcflyer23

I don't remember seeing that on mine. I would hope I would have noticed it. However I do have another kit in the shop that I am going to have to investigate now. Hopefully this isn't an issue. I think WC does do quantity discounts but I think it is for 10 or more. I honestly don't remember right now since I usually don't buy that much at a time.

Top Bottom