El Grande w/ Ancient Kauri

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ToddMR

ToddMR

For this pen I wanted to use a bigger kit with the Ancient Kauri wood. So I bought an El Grande kit at WC. The wood was very nice to work with. I can see myself buying more of it. While turning I had the lower end all down and was lightly using the skew when a huge chunk ripped off the side. Lucky for me the wood was extra long so I was able to use the rest for the end. I dry sanded up to 600 grit then did my med ca finish with 5 coats. Did wet MM all the way up.

146627-438x.jpg
146628-438x.jpg
146629-438x.jpg
146630-438x.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tanner

I've never tried Kauri. Your finish looks good, however it looks like it's a little over turned on some ends and under turned on one end. Just keeping it real.

LarryDNJR

That is called creative licensing. On certain kits I sometimes bring the wood in just a shy under the kit, it adds a different look for some without looking improper.

Marc Phillips

That is called creative licensing. On certain kits I sometimes bring the wood in just a shy under the kit, it adds a different look for some without looking improper.

I know that, for the most part, the "public" doesn't notice (at least consciously) a little overturned or under turned, regardless of the kit type..

But...

Penturners really do notice and to me, the over and under turning was what I noticed first.

Maybe my eye has just been trained over the years to see this as an error, and not attractive.

Finish looks nice...

ToddMR

I know that, for the most part, the "public" doesn't notice (at least consciously) a little overturned or under turned, regardless of the kit type..

But...

Penturners really do notice and to me, the over and under turning was what I noticed first.

Maybe my eye has just been trained over the years to see this as an error, and not attractive.

Finish looks nice...

Its all good. I have only been turning for a couple months. I know my pens aren't perfect, especially when I do a kit for the first time like this one. I though would rather be some under than over. I just like to show all my pens on here even not the best ones. I would rather see people be human with their work than only show the most perfect ones. That's my opinion. Thank you for the comments, I don't expect everyone to like my pens because there are some I do not like as well. No worries. :biggrin:

MartinPens

constructive criticism

Its all good. I have only been turning for a couple months. I know my pens aren't perfect, especially when I do a kit for the first time like this one. I though would rather be some under than over. I just like to show all my pens on here even not the best ones. I would rather see people be human with their work than only show the most perfect ones. That's my opinion. Thank you for the comments, I don't expect everyone to like my pens because there are some I do not like as well. No worries. :biggrin:

Way to hang on to reality, Todd. And I agree with the reality statement that there is room for improvement to get things lined up with the bushings. After going to Art School and having my stuff critiqued by 20 or 30 people (not pens, but other creative projects) each time I made something really showed me the value in feedback. It's valuable! There are things I just don't see and wouldn't see unless they were talked about. I had a pen on here that made the front page - and got a comment about how the blackwood caps were not equal and how that took away, in their opinion, from the balance. After looking at it again I saw it and had to agree. I made another one and equaled things out and it does look more balanced. If we don't express our opinion and just blow sunshine up people arsses - I think it takes away from the creative learning process.

Great job with the pen and I look forward to seeing how any comments might compel you to progress in your skill.

Martin

Top Bottom